Too bad America did not have illegal immigration laws in 1492...
On Wednesday evening former Secretary of State Condi Rice picked a fight with a large and vocal section of the Republican base, and I’m glad she did. This confrontation is long overdue. Zero-tolerance law-and-order rhetoric about the immigration issue has become the standard for talk radio and other conservative circles, and I think that this fact puts much of the conservative movement at odds with two of its most important foundations: a view of compassion derived from the Biblical tradition, and a commitment to economic freedom and limited government as an optimistic upward path to prosperity.
Here’s what she said:...
- Quotes of the day Erika Johnsen 10 hours ago
- Venezuela to US: You should probably come participate in a “peace commission” on all this violence you’ve caused Erika Johnsen 12 hours ago
- The most dangerous wedding photo evah? Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- Exit polls show Crimea annexation wins 93% of vote while under Russian occupation Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- NRLC Interview – Joe Scarborough Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago
- And your latest straw poll winner is… Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago