For those who are not well-versed in the language of sociology, ethnocentrism refers to the tendency to judge other cultures by the standards of one’s own culture. Since this is a natural human tendency, the task of fostering anti-ethnocentrism is difficult, to say the least. But it is also self-defeating....
Naturally. Which is why no one blames the American colonists for sweeping the Native Americans off the face of the land. We have studied the American expansion from a morally nuetral position and find no particular grievance with the Trail of Tears.
Ethnocentrism is under-rated. Most college students are exposed to the concept only if they take a course in Introductory Sociology or if they should chose to major in sociology. Even then, the concept of ethnocentrism is presented as an evil to be extinguished by fostering the value of anti-ethnocentrism.
- VA whistleblower: IG “softened” report on veteran deaths Ed Morrissey 30 mins ago
- LA Senate poll: Landrieu stuck in the mid-40′s, undecideds strongly disapprove of Obama Guy Benson 1 hour ago
- Luis Gutierrez: I have a duty to protect America, which is why I can’t support a border security bill Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Iowa’s Joni Ernst isn’t out yet: New poll shows her with a majority support Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Gates: No “hope of success” against ISIS without boots on the ground Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition; Update: “Poor choice of words” Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago