The flat tax has a fatal flaw--politicians. The income tax started out flat, but ballooned to over 50 brackets at one point. After Reagan flattened it into two (or three) brackets, it has bounced back to 6 or 7, depending on how you count them. Politicians WILL NOT let a flat income tax stay flat. They can't. The fair tax has an unbeatable advantage over any income tax. That's in addition to openness, fairness, and simplicity. Under a consumption tax, the government has no business knowing how much money I make, how much I spend and on what, who much I save, and in what kind of accounts, or how much I inherit or receive or give as a gift. None of that. The Fair Tax gets the government out of our personal finances entirely.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- FL-13 special election: Jolly wins! Erika Johnsen 7 hours ago
- Finally: “Frozen,” the honest trailer Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Union leaders: Man, this Keystone XL decision just “reeks of politics” Erika Johnsen 9 hours ago