So taxes will be going up. As a matter of political strategy -- not to say survival -- Republicans will have to agree to raise taxes on those defined as rich. It's...
On the expense side - Why does running the federal gov cost over 12,000 per person? And that's just for the known, published budget. If budgets were presented in understandable ways instead of relying on the innumeracy of the people to not understand what a trillion means, there would be alot more questioning and complaints about the worthiness of expenditures. Nationwide a billion is about 3.24 per person; a trillion is 3,240 or almost 13K for a family of four.
Realistic Republicans understand that President Obama and the Democrats head into fiscal cliff negotiations in a far stronger bargaining position now than in 2011. When voters were asked on Nov. 6 whether they favored raising taxes to reduce the deficit, a total of 60 percent said yes (47 percent favored increasing taxes for those who earn $250,000 or more, and 13 percent approved tax increases for all).
- WaPo: Say, this President doesn’t seem terribly competent at foreign policy, huh? Ed Morrissey 58 mins ago
- On the dismissal of the Chris McDaniel challenge in Mississippi Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 15 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 16 hours ago