Hal, It is certainly time for the AMA to step aside. The assumption that they represent Medicine is ludicrous. They are shamelessly used by the politicians and, what's more, allow themselves to be used. If they had any self respect they would admit their failure as an organization to protect physicians or patients and hand the reins to an organization who wants to fulfill that function. I have no doubt that they won't but they are collapsing under their own weight anyway.
In the aftermath of the Obama presidential election, healthcare reform became an intensely debated political issue, and the American Medical Association (AMA) had a difficult time deciding their position on the Affordable Care Act (ACA, Obamacare). In 2009, the AMA initially announced that they could not support President Obama'a plan for healthcare reform. One week later, they abruptly reversed course, proclaiming that they were completely behind his plan; support which proved critical for passage of this bill. Two weeks ago, the AMA announced their version of a premium support plan for Medicare, which would be introduced and debated during their...
- Rand Paul: Republicans must agree to disagree on social issues in order to grow the party Allahpundit 31 minutes ago
- Video: Small-business employees locked out of Covered California health care Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Russian FM after meeting with Kerry: Russia has no “common vision” on Crimea with the west Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- The Ed Morrissey Show: Duane “Generalissimo” Patterson Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Soon, you might be able to carry a gun just about anywhere in Georgia Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Kerry retreats on recognition of Israel as a Jewish state Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago