Hal, It is certainly time for the AMA to step aside. The assumption that they represent Medicine is ludicrous. They are shamelessly used by the politicians and, what's more, allow themselves to be used. If they had any self respect they would admit their failure as an organization to protect physicians or patients and hand the reins to an organization who wants to fulfill that function. I have no doubt that they won't but they are collapsing under their own weight anyway.
In the aftermath of the Obama presidential election, healthcare reform became an intensely debated political issue, and the American Medical Association (AMA) had a difficult time deciding their position on the Affordable Care Act (ACA, Obamacare). In 2009, the AMA initially announced that they could not support President Obama'a plan for healthcare reform. One week later, they abruptly reversed course, proclaiming that they were completely behind his plan; support which proved critical for passage of this bill. Two weeks ago, the AMA announced their version of a premium support plan for Medicare, which would be introduced and debated during their...
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 52 minutes ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Afghan interpreters who aided US in danger of being left behind Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago