Hal, It is certainly time for the AMA to step aside. The assumption that they represent Medicine is ludicrous. They are shamelessly used by the politicians and, what's more, allow themselves to be used. If they had any self respect they would admit their failure as an organization to protect physicians or patients and hand the reins to an organization who wants to fulfill that function. I have no doubt that they won't but they are collapsing under their own weight anyway.
In the aftermath of the Obama presidential election, healthcare reform became an intensely debated political issue, and the American Medical Association (AMA) had a difficult time deciding their position on the Affordable Care Act (ACA, Obamacare). In 2009, the AMA initially announced that they could not support President Obama'a plan for healthcare reform. One week later, they abruptly reversed course, proclaiming that they were completely behind his plan; support which proved critical for passage of this bill. Two weeks ago, the AMA announced their version of a premium support plan for Medicare, which would be introduced and debated during their...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 7 hours ago