What is it about Abraham Lincoln that has captured the hearts and minds of the American public since his assassination nearly 150 years ago? After all, one could argue -- rather persuasively -- that our 16th president was the least qualified candidate ever elected to high national office; in fact, his public service record included just four terms in the Illinois state legislative, one unremarkable term in the House of Representatives, and two unsuccessful bids for the US Senate. In addition, he had virtually no executive experience and, as his contemporaries invariably pointed out, Lincoln seemed wholly unfit to lead the...
Not true, everyone. Fort Sumter was in South Carolina, in the territory of the CSA. The occupiers were given every opportunity to leave peacefully. They refused and continued to occupy the sovereign territory of the Confederacy. No nation can permit a hostile foreign force of occupation.
- MNSure asks for additional $12.5 million to fix website and call center Ed Morrissey 41 minutes ago
- Federal committee devising new dietary guidelines based on… climate change Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- National Journal: Loss in HHS contraception mandate case would “restrict access” for women Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Business groups “blindsided” by Obama overtime redefinition Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Trey Gowdy on Obama’s power grabs: “How does going from being a senator to a president re-write the Constitution?” Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: Criminal probe opening in GM recall? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago