During the Vietnam War there were "heroes" who stepped forward and were dubbed as such by the left while being excoriated by the right. These included Army LTC Anthony Herbert who wrote in the 1960s about the illogical application of force and firepower in Vietnam. Air Force MAJ Hal Knight blew the "secret" bombing of Cambodia. The left praised Harrison Salisbury's attempts (misguided as they were) to reveal "truth" about the bombing of North Vietnam---even though what was "revealed" largely turned out to be North Vietnamese propaganda. Wayne Thompson, the Army Huey pilot who first lodged charges against William Calley that led to revelation of the Mi Lai Massacre was heralded by the far left (and others as well) for his heroism...and HE WAS a hero. In the 1960s and 1970s, much of the military hierarchy simply was ignorant of the kind of war we were fighting. Careerism was also a problem. Today, at the very pinnacle of the JCS, we have abject careerism evident. Some four-stars need to resign and call a news conference. They won't be "resigning" but retiring with their six figure pensions secured and openings at board rooms of various military-industrial companies. Will they do it? Doubtful. They have been co-opted, sold their souls for four small stars.
- NYT: After six weeks of U.S. airstrikes, ISIS has “scarcely budged” Allahpundit 21 mins ago
- McCain: I was pals with Mark Udall’s dad so I can’t bring myself to campaign for Cory Gardner Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Secret Service failures may expand no-walking zone around White House Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- CDC: Up to half a million Ebola cases by end of January Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: South Park ad hits Redskins … during Redskins game Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- NYT: Daniel Inouye was the senator who told Kirsten Gillibrand that he likes his girls chubby Allahpundit 3 hours ago