For a day. But within hours, the administration account deflated...
A SECDEF unwilling to deploy military forces for fear of suffering casualties! "Amazing" and "unbelievable" are appropriate descriptors. Rescue and recovery forces are trained to extract aircrews or special operations teams from highly contested areas. Additionally, given that much of the combat over the past ten years occurred in urban environments in Iraq especially, our forces have gained both tactical training and experience in close-quarter combat. This includes the forces that would have been put on the ground to rescue our men in the Benghazi consulate and close air support assents sent in to provide cover. We have the land and air tactical acumen to carry off such an operation. We've been good at this since Vietnam.
The first statements from the Obama administration about what happened in Benghazi seemed plausible. There were, after all, protests throughout the Muslim world on the anniversary of 9/11 -- some incited by Islamists using an obscure video to arouse anti-American fervor in the mobs, and some, no doubt, just pelting U.S. embassies on general principles. When the administration explained that one of those protests had spun out of control and led to the murder of our ambassador and three other Americans in Libya, there seemed no reason to doubt it.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Teamsters appeal to “Top Chef” for employment by threatening to bash in Padma Lakshmi’s face Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Rick Perry: It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- “Today is a miraculous day”: Dr. Kent Brantly speaks after recovering from Ebola Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- YouGov poll: Most Americans, and most Democrats, do not wish Hillary had won in 2008 Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Report: Obama’s Bergdahl swap violated the law Noah Rothman 12 hours ago