For a day. But within hours, the administration account deflated...
A SECDEF unwilling to deploy military forces for fear of suffering casualties! "Amazing" and "unbelievable" are appropriate descriptors. Rescue and recovery forces are trained to extract aircrews or special operations teams from highly contested areas. Additionally, given that much of the combat over the past ten years occurred in urban environments in Iraq especially, our forces have gained both tactical training and experience in close-quarter combat. This includes the forces that would have been put on the ground to rescue our men in the Benghazi consulate and close air support assents sent in to provide cover. We have the land and air tactical acumen to carry off such an operation. We've been good at this since Vietnam.
The first statements from the Obama administration about what happened in Benghazi seemed plausible. There were, after all, protests throughout the Muslim world on the anniversary of 9/11 -- some incited by Islamists using an obscure video to arouse anti-American fervor in the mobs, and some, no doubt, just pelting U.S. embassies on general principles. When the administration explained that one of those protests had spun out of control and led to the murder of our ambassador and three other Americans in Libya, there seemed no reason to doubt it.
- Reason Magazine actually asked climate protesters what they want to do, and it’s hilarious Noah Rothman 30 mins ago
- Lerner speaks! (To Politico) Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Panetta: Obama’s bad decisions on Syria and Iraq led to rise of ISIS Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Disaster: 130,000 refugees flee ISIS, cross into Turkey Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- John Roberts doesn’t believe either Scalia or Ginsburg could be confirmed today Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago