One of the strongest elements of Mitt Romney's spectacular debate performance was his decisive rejoinder to the president's oft-repeated allegation that the Republican plans to raise taxes on middle class families. Obama said Romney has designs on an unpaid-for $5 trillion tax cut that would eventually necessitate higher tax bills for average Americans. Romney flatly rejected the claim by calling it false, then explained what he actually has in mind. But the president returned to the "$5 trillion" well on several subsequent occasions, prompting more rebuttals from his challenger. FactCheck.org and CNN reviewed Obama's accusation, and found it wanting....
In response to:
Ronald Wilson Reagan said we shouldn't negotiate with hostage takers. In fact, he did. Remember the Iran-Contra fiasco? He traded arms to Iran for the release of hostages. Iran got some F-5 parts and TOW missiles and then told their fellow Shia buddies in Lebanon to grab some more hostages. Reagan then arranged for more arm shipments to Iran. This was utter lunacy! And that cycle repeated again, and again and again. Reagan evidently thought the massive "Commie" base in Nicaragua was a bigger strategery threat than the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014