One of the strongest elements of Mitt Romney's spectacular debate performance was his decisive rejoinder to the president's oft-repeated allegation that the Republican plans to raise taxes on middle class families. Obama said Romney has designs on an unpaid-for $5 trillion tax cut that would eventually necessitate higher tax bills for average Americans. Romney flatly rejected the claim by calling it false, then explained what he actually has in mind. But the president returned to the "$5 trillion" well on several subsequent occasions, prompting more rebuttals from his challenger. FactCheck.org and CNN reviewed Obama's accusation, and found it wanting....
In response to:
Ronald Wilson Reagan said we shouldn't negotiate with hostage takers. In fact, he did. Remember the Iran-Contra fiasco? He traded arms to Iran for the release of hostages. Iran got some F-5 parts and TOW missiles and then told their fellow Shia buddies in Lebanon to grab some more hostages. Reagan then arranged for more arm shipments to Iran. This was utter lunacy! And that cycle repeated again, and again and again. Reagan evidently thought the massive "Commie" base in Nicaragua was a bigger strategery threat than the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Issa: Americans deserve to hear from Lerner under oath, not in the press Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Poll: Plurality now think businesses that provide wedding services should be required to serve gay weddings too Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Poet: I would have died for my aborted daughter’s right to choose, just like she died for mine Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Resurrected monster General Motors is still killing people Noah Rothman 9 hours ago