Thanks for posting the corrections. I see these mistakes, which bother me, but just ignore them. I don't want to make the posters mad and waste my time.
The word hoax first came into popular use sometime in the middle to late eighteenth century. It is thought to have been a contraction of the word hocus from the conjuror's term hocus pocus. The term hocus pocus itself first appeared in the early seventeenth century. It might have derived from the assumed name of a conjuror in the time of King James who called himself 'The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus' because with the performance of every trick he used to call out the nonsense phrase, "Hocus pocus, tontus talontus, vade celeriter jubeo" (later magicians were known to use...
- Next co-host of “The View”: Meghan McCain? Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- ObamaCare premiums in MN heading for double-digit increases? Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Finally: Obama nominated for his first Emmy Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- IRS employee suspended for urging taxpayers to ‘reelect President Obama’ Noah Rothman 6 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Shannon Goessling, Kurt Schlichter Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Video: Unhinged pro-abortion protester knows little about human biology … or criminal law Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago