Thanks for posting the corrections. I see these mistakes, which bother me, but just ignore them. I don't want to make the posters mad and waste my time.
The word hoax first came into popular use sometime in the middle to late eighteenth century. It is thought to have been a contraction of the word hocus from the conjuror's term hocus pocus. The term hocus pocus itself first appeared in the early seventeenth century. It might have derived from the assumed name of a conjuror in the time of King James who called himself 'The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus' because with the performance of every trick he used to call out the nonsense phrase, "Hocus pocus, tontus talontus, vade celeriter jubeo" (later magicians were known to use...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Video: Media loves Sotomayor’s passion Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- CRS report: The administration has missed 44 of its own ObamaCare deadlines Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago
- Coming soon to the Nevada desert: “BundyFest”? Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Oh, was yesterday Earth Day? Erika Johnsen 9 hours ago
- Chris Hayes: In a way, abolishing global warming is like abolishing slavery Allahpundit 10 hours ago