Thanks for posting the corrections. I see these mistakes, which bother me, but just ignore them. I don't want to make the posters mad and waste my time.
The word hoax first came into popular use sometime in the middle to late eighteenth century. It is thought to have been a contraction of the word hocus from the conjuror's term hocus pocus. The term hocus pocus itself first appeared in the early seventeenth century. It might have derived from the assumed name of a conjuror in the time of King James who called himself 'The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus' because with the performance of every trick he used to call out the nonsense phrase, "Hocus pocus, tontus talontus, vade celeriter jubeo" (later magicians were known to use...
- Univision anchor: No government should be in the business of deporting children Allahpundit 17 minutes ago
- Florida dad who beat son’s alleged molester to a pulp: I went to get a butcher knife to finish him off Allahpundit 58 minutes ago
- ISIS Update: Sophisticated strategic advance puts Baghdad in the crosshairs Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Ways and Means Committee: We’ve learned that Lois Lerner’s hard drive was scratched — but data was recoverable Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- The value in silence: disconnection and recollection Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Semi-retired president reluctantly decides now’s not the time for a Jimmy Kimmel guest shot Allahpundit 3 hours ago