Thanks for posting the corrections. I see these mistakes, which bother me, but just ignore them. I don't want to make the posters mad and waste my time.
The word hoax first came into popular use sometime in the middle to late eighteenth century. It is thought to have been a contraction of the word hocus from the conjuror's term hocus pocus. The term hocus pocus itself first appeared in the early seventeenth century. It might have derived from the assumed name of a conjuror in the time of King James who called himself 'The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus' because with the performance of every trick he used to call out the nonsense phrase, "Hocus pocus, tontus talontus, vade celeriter jubeo" (later magicians were known to use...
- Canadian, British leaders struggle with homegrown Islamic radicalism Noah Rothman 22 mins ago
- NYC doctor who recently treated Ebola patients rushed to hospital with 103-degree fever Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Revealed: ICE released some illegals charged with violent crimes — after telling Americans they hadn’t Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Latest viral video: Priests doing a dance-off in the Vatican* Ed Morrissey 2 hour ago
- Arbiter orders NFL commissioner to testify in hearing on Rice appeal Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, John-Henry Westen, Jason Mattera Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago