Thanks for posting the corrections. I see these mistakes, which bother me, but just ignore them. I don't want to make the posters mad and waste my time.
The word hoax first came into popular use sometime in the middle to late eighteenth century. It is thought to have been a contraction of the word hocus from the conjuror's term hocus pocus. The term hocus pocus itself first appeared in the early seventeenth century. It might have derived from the assumed name of a conjuror in the time of King James who called himself 'The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus' because with the performance of every trick he used to call out the nonsense phrase, "Hocus pocus, tontus talontus, vade celeriter jubeo" (later magicians were known to use...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Your feel good video of the weekend, with Reince and DWS Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Noted internet gambling critic has interesting gaming history Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago
- 2014’s ‘Clinton Democrats’ crashing and burning Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- The Democrats’ embarrassing attempt to blame Republican for Ebola collapses Noah Rothman 11 hours ago
- NFL Week 7 open thread Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago