Want the spousal benefits? Get a civil union. Want to be married? Find a priest that will perform it. Want both? Do both like they do in England.
Conventional wisdom argues that opposition to gay marriage hurt Republicans in the recent election cycle, but nothing in the numbers suggests that this is true.
In the four liberal states where advocates for same-sex marriage won their victories, the redefinition of marriage proved much less popular than Barack Obama. In Maryland, for instance, Obama cruised to victory with 62 percent of the vote, but same-sex marriage squeaked by with just 52 percent. In other words, more than one out of six of Obama supporters voted with Republicans, not their fellow Democrats, against same sex marriage.
In Maryland, Maine, Washington...
- DNC chairwoman: What, politics influencing the president’s Keystone XL delay? Nahhh. Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 20 hours ago