The financial crisis is over and the recession ended in 2009. But one of the federal government's biggest social welfare programs, which expanded when the economy convulsed, isn't shrinking back alongside the recovery.
Enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as the modern-day food-stamp benefit is known, has soared 70% since 2008 to a record 47.8 million as of December 2012. Congressional budget...
In response to:
- Rand Paul: Let’s get this straight — I’m not for containing Iran Allahpundit 19 minutes ago
- Biofuels producers: No really, this is the year biofuels are going to take off, for serious Erika Johnsen 58 minutes ago
- Why not Mike Pence in 2016? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Report: That recent deceleration in healthcare spending? Yeah, that’s probably over Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- New Fox ensemble show to feature Townhall’s Katie Pavlich as contributor Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Surprise: Democrat-aligned groups vastly out-raising conservative counterparts in 2014 Guy Benson 2 hours ago