The financial crisis is over and the recession ended in 2009. But one of the federal government's biggest social welfare programs, which expanded when the economy convulsed, isn't shrinking back alongside the recovery.
Enrollment in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as the modern-day food-stamp benefit is known, has soared 70% since 2008 to a record 47.8 million as of December 2012. Congressional budget...
In response to:
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Dem donors demand discount for Obama dinners? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Video: Months later, ObamaCare exchanges still aren’t working properly Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago