Gay rights is, first of all, a misnomer. Gay is a word for happy; joyful, jovial. Not perverse, wanton and fixated on vice. Call it if you wish "personal rights." and it's more a propos of homosexual needs. Here's the problem, for you: Homosexuals are a minority. The fact that today liberals support the absurd position of legal depravity doesn't make it a vital issue. And you'll soon find even leftists tired of wasting their energy on such dubious political causes. You are by and large an unimportant minority, and always shall be.
Conventional wisdom argues that opposition to gay marriage hurt Republicans in the recent election cycle, but nothing in the numbers suggests that this is true.
In the four liberal states where advocates for same-sex marriage won their victories, the redefinition of marriage proved much less popular than Barack Obama. In Maryland, for instance, Obama cruised to victory with 62 percent of the vote, but same-sex marriage squeaked by with just 52 percent. In other words, more than one out of six of Obama supporters voted with Republicans, not their fellow Democrats, against same sex marriage.
In Maryland, Maine, Washington...
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 52 minutes ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 19 hours ago