As you read through Kevin and Ed Morrissey's write-ups on the president's FY 2014 budget proposal, consider this: Obama's new plan is only a smidgen better than Senate Democrats' risible offering last month. It's a tepid improvement because the new tax hikes "only" amount to $1.1 trillion, rather than $1.5 trillion, and because it includes a handful of modest entitlement reforms -- which, unfortunately, the White...
[There are potentially exploitable entitlement reform elements within this budget, but as I wrote last week, Republicans should resist that temptation. In fact, they should support and applaud these narrow efforts, especially as the Left throws head-in-the-sand hissy fits about them.] Yeah. It's already happening. It doesn't matter if that GOP would like to see SS phased into a national 401k plan and Medicare into vouchers. This is politics. Seniors overwhelming dislike cuts even to the rate of increase of SS and Medicare (with good reason), so the GOP playbook will be to get seniors out to the polls to vote red by screaming about Obama's shocking cuts to Medicare and 'attack on seniors'.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Hmm: Tsarnaev sister arrested for alleged bomb threat Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 8 hours ago