As you read through Kevin and Ed Morrissey's write-ups on the president's FY 2014 budget proposal, consider this: Obama's new plan is only a smidgen better than Senate Democrats' risible offering last month. It's a tepid improvement because the new tax hikes "only" amount to $1.1 trillion, rather than $1.5 trillion, and because it includes a handful of modest entitlement reforms -- which, unfortunately, the White...
[There are potentially exploitable entitlement reform elements within this budget, but as I wrote last week, Republicans should resist that temptation. In fact, they should support and applaud these narrow efforts, especially as the Left throws head-in-the-sand hissy fits about them.] Yeah. It's already happening. It doesn't matter if that GOP would like to see SS phased into a national 401k plan and Medicare into vouchers. This is politics. Seniors overwhelming dislike cuts even to the rate of increase of SS and Medicare (with good reason), so the GOP playbook will be to get seniors out to the polls to vote red by screaming about Obama's shocking cuts to Medicare and 'attack on seniors'.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014