Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Wow: 62% of Republicans support sending ground troops into Iraq and Syria Allahpundit 50 mins ago
- Video: AQ’s competition with ISIS means renewed focus on hitting US Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- The GOP comes roaring back in Colorado Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- WSJ: Obama will require military to get his personal approval for U.S. strikes in Syria Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: Scotland goes to the polls on independence Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Chaffetz to DHS Secretary: Did you hear the one about the four suspected terrorists who tried to walk across the border? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago