Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- FL-13 special election: Jolly wins! Erika Johnsen 6 hours ago
- Finally: “Frozen,” the honest trailer Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Union leaders: Man, this Keystone XL decision just “reeks of politics” Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago