Congress has inflicted frightful punishments on its members--now you know that. When they tried Mr. Fairoaks, and a cloud of witnesses proved him to be--well, you know what they proved him to be--and his own testimony and his own confessions gave him the same character, what did Congress do then?....Congress intimated plainly enough, that they considered him almost a stain upon their body; and without waiting ten days, hardly, to think the thing over, they rose up and hurled at him a resolution declaring that they disapproved of his conduct! Now you know that. –Colonel Beriah Sellers, The Gilded Age, Mark Twain,...
Considering Lincoln's "ultimate solution" to dissident newspapers was to force their closure and imprision or impoverish their owners/editors/managers, D.M. Zuniga does have a point, even if he is over the top. In an ideal world, Lincoln would have been put on trial and imprisoned for those un-Constitutional acts. As tragic as his assassination was, in some ways it WAS justice. It might behove Mr Obama to remember that before he and his Administration go breaking any more laws.
- Report: Jewish residents being forced to “register” by pro-Russian militants in eastern Ukrainian city Allahpundit 32 minutes ago
- NBC: Isn’t it great to have a multi-billionaire pour money into politics? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- American super-patriot to Putin: Russia doesn’t conduct mass surveillance like the U.S. does, right? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Old recording reveals GOP governor questioned policy, used salty language Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Fox poll: 61% thinks Obama lies on important matters Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Comment registration is now open! Update: Closed Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago