After the massacre, press secretary Jay Carney reiterated Obama's support for reinstating the federal "assault weapon" ban that expired in 2004, and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., promised to introduce a bill aimed at doing so next month. But we know for sure that an "assault weapon" ban would not...
Unfortunately, a ban on "large capacity magazines" is relatively useless. Such magazines are easy to produce in any machine shop in the country, include high school shop classes. Contrary to popular mythology, there is no such thing as an "assault weapon" or "assault rifle"; even under the ban definition. A pistol grip makes it easier to carry, but soldiers are taught not to use it for accurate shooting. A flash suppressor doesn't have any effect on accuracy or lethality. In fact, it makes the weapon even heavier. Bayonets attached to a rifles bayonet lugs have NEVER been used in the commission of a crime; and are in fact, a last ditch defense for soldiers who have run out of ammo or had their weapon fail to continue firing.
"These tragedies must end," says President Obama, referring to Adam Lanza's horrifying assault on Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., last Friday. Although it is hard to disagree with that sentiment, the measures Obama favors cannot reasonably be expected to prevent such thankfully rare but nevertheless appalling outbursts of senseless violence.
- House GOP abandons border crisis bill, can’t find 218 votes; Update: One more try? Allahpundit 48 minutes ago
- ObamaCare caused some premiums to nearly double in California Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- CIA confesses: Yeah, we hacked the Senate’s computers Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Bill Clinton, September 10, 2001: I could have killed Bin Laden once but called it off because of civilian casualties Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Is Hamas calling it quits? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- House may vote on bill that would block Obama from expanding executive amnesty for illegals Allahpundit 4 hours ago