On a repair ship, if I had to get a welding job done below decks, I'd assign whomever was available and capable. If it was a female, I'd also have to send a man with her to carry the heavy equipment (welding bottles, etc). Since it's against Navy regs to have two people of the opposite sex in a confined space (say a void or tank), I'd have to send a third person. Three people to do the job of one. The initial female was capable of doing the job but now my options are limited. I'd usually wind up sending a guy and the female would continue to sit around the office. This didn't do much for the guys morale; usually winds up driving him out while the female moves up in rank. And, if after the job, they decide to go to the fantail for a smoke ..it'd better be only one of them or all three - can't be ANYWHERE with only one person of the opposite sex because that's automatically considered fraternization. Ahh, the New Navy... I'm sure the other branches are having similar experiences...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Priorities: Germany bans Uber, ride-sharing services Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Breaking: Obama approves sending 350 more troops back into Baghdad Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- ESPN poll: 71% support team keeping “Redskins” name — including 53% of liberals Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Brutal Ad: Mary Landrieu’s tireless representation of her true home town Guy Benson 6 hours ago
- Chris Christie thinks Putin wouldn’t test him like he does Obama, and that’s driving liberals nuts Noah Rothman 7 hours ago