On a repair ship, if I had to get a welding job done below decks, I'd assign whomever was available and capable. If it was a female, I'd also have to send a man with her to carry the heavy equipment (welding bottles, etc). Since it's against Navy regs to have two people of the opposite sex in a confined space (say a void or tank), I'd have to send a third person. Three people to do the job of one. The initial female was capable of doing the job but now my options are limited. I'd usually wind up sending a guy and the female would continue to sit around the office. This didn't do much for the guys morale; usually winds up driving him out while the female moves up in rank. And, if after the job, they decide to go to the fantail for a smoke ..it'd better be only one of them or all three - can't be ANYWHERE with only one person of the opposite sex because that's automatically considered fraternization. Ahh, the New Navy... I'm sure the other branches are having similar experiences...
- Hamas spox: ‘We are leading our people to death’… er, confrontation… yeah, that’s it Noah Rothman 33 minutes ago
- Dems to Obama: Don’t stand so close to me Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Bowe Bergdahl returning to active duty this week Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Democratic Colorado governor exalts Obama’s pool game, is not helping Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Begich: Hey, I’m a thorn in Obama’s … whatever Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Josh Earnest: We’re the most transparent administration ever, no matter what journalists say Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago