On a repair ship, if I had to get a welding job done below decks, I'd assign whomever was available and capable. If it was a female, I'd also have to send a man with her to carry the heavy equipment (welding bottles, etc). Since it's against Navy regs to have two people of the opposite sex in a confined space (say a void or tank), I'd have to send a third person. Three people to do the job of one. The initial female was capable of doing the job but now my options are limited. I'd usually wind up sending a guy and the female would continue to sit around the office. This didn't do much for the guys morale; usually winds up driving him out while the female moves up in rank. And, if after the job, they decide to go to the fantail for a smoke ..it'd better be only one of them or all three - can't be ANYWHERE with only one person of the opposite sex because that's automatically considered fraternization. Ahh, the New Navy... I'm sure the other branches are having similar experiences...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Video: Phoenix business owner foils bank robbery by waiting at get-away car with his gun Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Obama: Hey, all these red-state Democrats running away from me are strong supporters who vote with me! Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: The ultimate gross-out Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Scary news from MoveOn: If Republicans win the Senate, they might use a dubious procedure known as “reconciliation” Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Should a minority elect an executive? Maine edition Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago