Suppose I saw an elderly woman painfully huddled on a heating grate in the dead of winter. She's hungry and in...
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." --Benjamin Franklin, "Management of the Poor" (1766)
Benjamin Franklin, statesman and signer of our Declaration of Independence, said: "Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters." John Adams, another signer, echoed a similar statement: "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." Are today's Americans virtuous and moral, or have we become corrupt and vicious? Let's think it through with a few questions.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Kochs’ next dastardly deed: Creating good public defenders for low-income accused Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Reading the early voting tea leaves: Republicans closing the gap Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- White House to red-state Democrats: Don’t blame Precious if you lose Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- ISIS mortar shells now landing in Baghdad’s Green Zone Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- SCOTUS to consider police searches of hotel registries Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago