Interesting Frontline report on public TV last night about Michelle Rhee and her time as chancellor of the D.C. schools. Apparently, there was alleged a lot of erasing going on with the standardized tests. Investigation did not seem to prove anything, There were wild upswings in achievement levels year-to-year. Frontline did not tell me what happened to the scores after Rhee was ejected (along with the mayor who had hired her). From what I saw on this program, the students were mainly unmanageable, not following directions, listening to Ipod during class, dressing like hoodlums. I hope Rhee is successful in her new endeavor.
Nearly two years ago, U.S. News & World Report came out with a story titled "Educators Implicated in Atlanta Cheating Scandal." It reported that "for 10 years, hundreds of Atlanta public school teachers and principals changed answers on state tests in one of the largest cheating scandals in U.S. history." More than three-quarters of the 56 Atlanta schools investigated had cheated on the National Assessment of Educational Progress test, sometimes called the national report card. Cheating orders came from school administrators and included brazen acts such as teachers reading answers aloud during the test and erasing incorrect answers. One teacher told...
- Most transparent administration ever closes Apollo 11 anniversary event to press Mary Katharine Ham 53 minutes ago
- Chuck Schumer: What say we have fully open primaries from now on? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Univision anchor: No government should be in the business of deporting children Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Florida dad who beat son’s alleged molester to a pulp: I went to get a butcher knife to finish him off Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- ISIS Update: Sophisticated strategic advance puts Baghdad in the crosshairs Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Ways and Means Committee: We’ve learned that Lois Lerner’s hard drive was scratched — but data was recoverable Allahpundit 4 hours ago