Interesting Frontline report on public TV last night about Michelle Rhee and her time as chancellor of the D.C. schools. Apparently, there was alleged a lot of erasing going on with the standardized tests. Investigation did not seem to prove anything, There were wild upswings in achievement levels year-to-year. Frontline did not tell me what happened to the scores after Rhee was ejected (along with the mayor who had hired her). From what I saw on this program, the students were mainly unmanageable, not following directions, listening to Ipod during class, dressing like hoodlums. I hope Rhee is successful in her new endeavor.
Nearly two years ago, U.S. News & World Report came out with a story titled "Educators Implicated in Atlanta Cheating Scandal." It reported that "for 10 years, hundreds of Atlanta public school teachers and principals changed answers on state tests in one of the largest cheating scandals in U.S. history." More than three-quarters of the 56 Atlanta schools investigated had cheated on the National Assessment of Educational Progress test, sometimes called the national report card. Cheating orders came from school administrators and included brazen acts such as teachers reading answers aloud during the test and erasing incorrect answers. One teacher told...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Small California winery to close doors after being fined for using volunteers Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- NC SEN: Is the race ‘tight as a tick?’ Matt Vespa 2 hours ago
- Three words. Tetris. The movie. Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Carter: If I had gone to war with Iran, I would have beaten Reagan or something Matt Vespa 3 hours ago
- FCC: We’ll look into whether “Redskins” is indecent for broadcast Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago