At least, Jews in Ukraine should clearly understand the implication of registration. In Nazi Germany, it began a naked grab for property. Jews could buy a ticket out (if they could find a country that would let them in) and go, taking nothing with them. Now, at least they can go to Israel, which they should immediately consider doing. Even if they have to abandon their property, at least they will be alive when they get to Israel. There's only 17,000 Jews left in Ukraine (so I've read). Thousands were shot and buried during WWII by Nazi kill squads and the citizens of Ukraine at that time were enthusiastic about the confiscated property of the murdered Jews. My message to the Ukrainian Jews: GET OUT NOW.

Statistical Frauds

Dot462 Wrote: Apr 15, 2014 10:15 PM
Ever think you see more women in jobs that don't require physical strength than men? Clerical positions do have a higher percentage of women perhaps because it doesn't require physical power. In fact, when I was a manager I had to fill out EEO reports to show that I hired the right percentage of men, women, black, white, Asian, American Indian but at the same time I wasn't allowed to exceed the percentage allotted to women for clerical work. I preferred men because in the medical records file room the employees had to lift heavy boxes of records and the men could do it more easily with fewer worker's comp claims for back pain -- yet I was supposed to keep my workforce at 98% women because EEO said that was the workforce distribution that they desired. Why? I don't know. You say there are very few men in the banks? What bank do you go to? I was in one a couple days ago in which a man with an earring and tattoos was working alongside another man who was Asian. There was 50% workforce participation of men and women (four employes in the bank). Not even any discrimination against tattooed people, so how about that!

A Halo for Selfishness

Dot462 Wrote: Apr 08, 2014 3:25 PM
I like that idea. Everything is electronic now, anyhow and there's no need for Congress critters to fly back and forth like they do or meet in the same room. They can vote by electronic means, all speeches can be done electronically. Look at all the money saved by not having offices in D.C. Staff appointments would be local and the Congressional staffer pay would stay in the state rather than D.C. The only thing is, it's hard to get a response from Congress critters electronically, or by snail mail either. Maybe they're overloaded.

A Halo for Selfishness

Dot462 Wrote: Apr 08, 2014 3:21 PM
It's interesting that the voting that goes on with satellite and cable TV shows Fox News outperforming the others by far. Maybe certain demographics watch Fox and other demographics watch MSNBC, etc., and maybe those who watch Fox actually vote. It would be interesting to research. I haven't watched much of the screaming about this SCOTUS decision, but I see it on the news outlets on the internet. Interesting how the left hollers when rich people like the Koch brothers contribute to political causes, but they don't scream when George Soros and rich movie actors do the same. It's all about money. Just like it's OK to drive the CEO of Mozilla out for something he did years ago that wasn't OK with certain people, but if a CEO or other business figure supports something they like, nothing is said.
Mr. Eich should never have allowed himself to be driven out and Mozilla's chairman should not have been so quick to cave in under pressure from loud activists. Thousands of people might refuse to use Mozilla, but other thousands will support Mozilla if it stood up to PC people who to not tolerate anyone who disagrees with them. I call the PC people "bash your face in" people because their general attitude is "if you don't agree with me I'll bash your face in." Such people can be found in the ranks of homosexuals, heterosexuals, religious people, atheists -- you name the group there are probably some in it who would institute an inquisition against those who disagree with them. If Mozilla is really interested in tolerance, they wouldn't can their CEO because he donated money to Prop. 8. Unfortunately, the "bash your face in" people scare companies and individuals. I'm sure Mr. Eich will find employment forthwith in a workplace with more tolerance. Perhaps he might be glad to leave California to the intolerance of the activist, intolerant groups which have invaded and polluted the state. Save yourself, Mr. Eich, and move where there's no state income tax.

Minimum Wage: All Jacked Up

Dot462 Wrote: Apr 01, 2014 6:56 PM
Exactly right. I observed when Nevada last raised its minimum I think three years ago the unemployment rate went up 1% the next month. Coincidence? Nevada already led the nation in unemployment, so raising the minimum just made it worse.

How Foreign is Our Policy?

Dot462 Wrote: Apr 01, 2014 6:41 PM
A majority can be anti-American, just as they can vote for expropriation of money from rich people, or elect a president who promises to cure cancer and lower the ocean levels. A majority can advocate or vote for anything they want to, which is the downside of democracy. Cultural relativism says that everybody's culture is OK because they believe it and other cultures can't question it. But, in fact, many actions and principles are (or should be) universal. Just because a majority of those who believe in Islam also believe in punishment based on sharia law sanctioning honor killings doesn't mean they should have the power to implement such law regardless of what Christians or Jews or Buddhists might believe. The principle that murder is wrong should be universal. If we are going to accept that liberals have changed the definition of anti-American, then maybe we don't have universal principles. I dispute that a majority of the electorate accepts a "new" definition of anti-American. More likely, many don't even have a definition of it that they can articulate.
Remember, union members (even those who are required to be a member) can opt out of the part of their dues used for political purposes. I don't think the Beck decision has been overturned yet. So, that option is open, sometimes only during certain times of the year, depending on the contract. Most people don't take advantage of this because they have to do it in writing and, therefore, the union knows who is doing this. One nice thing that a couple states have done is refuse to collect dues by payroll deduction, thereby requiring the union to collect directly from members.
If there are any "conservative" or "extreme Republicans" left in N.Y. (don't know why any are still there), take the message and get out. Go to a state that doesn't tax you to death and still has some individual liberty. But, if you come to Nevada don't vote for bigger govt, more taxes, restrictions on freedom. We've got enough refugees from the state to our west bringing their bad voting habits here.

Do Americans Prefer Deception?

Dot462 Wrote: Nov 20, 2013 5:31 PM
But, look, there are jobs available: Greeter at WalMart, checkout watcher at Costco or Sam's Club. They hire old people and handicapped people. It doesn't take much skill to do these jobs, but it does take patience and you can do it while collecting SS. If you're really out of luck and only get SS, but retired too early for Medicare, you might qualify for Medicaid. Don't feel like you shouldn't get on these programs; you paid taxes all your life, didn't you? You've been ripped off with FICA taxes all the time you worked. They won't cut SS off to you. The biggest fear you might have is that the currency is run into the ground and your SS money turns out to buy one candy bar a month. You might die before that happens. I retired a couple years ago thinking I might not live to see the impending chaos, but now I think I might and I'm not looking forward to seeing it. But, in the meantime, I'll take what I can get.
Only two ways Obama didn't know about the impending failure of the website: 1) His underlings were too afraid to tell him, maybe in fear of the shoot-the-messenger syndrome; 2) his underlings actually didn't know it was going to fail, so they couldn't tell him. I think the first alternative is the one, since he's such a narcissist and demands that his underlings kowtow to him and he could never admit that he was wrong about something. The second alternative isn't believable because probably a lot of programmers and systems people knew this thing wasn't going to work. They probably communicated this, although they may have said something like "my part works" and nobody tested all the parts together. Sebelius ultimately is responsible for this, being the Sec of HHS, but apparently she doesn't know much about computer systems or websites and maybe she also is the type of manager that underlings don't want to tell bad news to. It should be difficult for any intelligent person to look at the way this ACA rollout has worked and still have confidence that Obama and his minions know anything at all, other than the magical thinking that allows them to delude themselves that command-and-control systems with 300 million people affected can work.