Alexander Hamilton: "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed," adding later, "If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is...
Ok, Bob, so why not go out and work on an Amendment to the Constitution that strikes down the 2nd Amendment. Many American people didn't like the 18th Amendment (Prohibition), so they worked to get the 21st passed (the one striking down the 21st). Instead of asking your legislators to destroy the Constitution, why don't you work on an Amendment? Are you afraid it won't pass? And speaking of Prohibition--how well did that work? How about that war on drugs? Do you really think the war on weapons will fare any better?
Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shootings, said: "The British are not coming. ... We don't need all these guns to kill people." Lewis' vision, shared by many, represents a gross ignorance of why the framers of the Constitution gave us the Second Amendment. How about a few quotes from the period and you decide whether our Founding Fathers harbored a fear of foreign tyrants.
- International community concerned America violating international law by striking Syria? Noah Rothman 21 mins ago
- Jihadi social media: Khorasan Group leader Muhsin al-Fadhli killed in U.S. airstrikes in Syria Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- NYT: On second thought, Bush did pull together a coalition on Iraq Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- U.S. had Assad’s cooperation during strikes on targets in Syria Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Open thread: War president to address nation after targeting ISIS, Khorasan in Syria Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Yemen’s capital under near total control of Shiite rebels following bloody offensive Noah Rothman 3 hours ago