The Washington Post's headline is "Spending by independent groups had little...
So, does that not give the lie to the presumption that races can be bought, & we need to let the government decide who can say what before an election in order to "get the money out of politics" ha ha? Is there no demonstrated need to keep some strawman baddie like the Saudi Arabians or Putin or the Koch Bros. (but never the Chicoms, who actually DID give $$$ to Clinton) from "buying" the election? Thus _Citizens United_ is not a factor, & there should be no need to repeal the First Amendment & replace it with meaningless gobbledegook.
Much digital ink and wind is being expended today on the interwebs and cable TV lamenting the ineffectiveness of outside spending from conservative-aligned groups in electing Republican candidates. Indeed, some of the largest groups spent incredible amounts of money to what looks to be little effect. Many Republican candidates who had large SuperPACs behind them lost, and in what looked to be winnable races. This wasn't just Mitt Romney - it was down the ballot with candidates like Josh Mandel, Scott Brown, Tommy Thompson and George Allen.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 8 hours ago