Thanks for your 1st-hand witness. I've had repeated arguments on this point. Socialism by nature introduces government into everything & makes gov't permission more & more necessary. Every time government has to be persuaded just to let one go about one's legal business, that is another opportunity for an officer or bureaucrat to extract something. A ruling class who wants to be plied with payoffs for favors would be expected to construct a polity where government must frequently grant permissions & concessions for people to just simply go about their business. In the modern era, they'll go with some flavor of socialism. Socialism is corrupt; corruption thrives in socialism.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Good: Comedienne refuses to apologize for telling jokes Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Shocking report: Obama didn’t even finish Jiro’s sushi Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Who’s up for a Throwback Thursday with Kim Jong Un? Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- Georgia governor signs liberalizing concealed carry law Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago
- McCain: It’s a stain on America’s honor that we haven’t passed amnesty yet Allahpundit 6 hours ago