But to fire up the base – conservatives who stayed home in 2008, but stormed the polls in 2010 – the convention will need to be about more than pomp and circumstance. There will need to be substantive policy declarations that conservatives can rally behind, which in some cases will...
The whole GOP narrative & supposed "strategy" from ~1995 thru 2008 was deny, marginalize, alienate, & blow off the conservative base. Apparachiks like Rove were saying "They have nowhere else to go" so ignore them. The party had been all about buying the fairy tale that the "moderate independents" were basically on board with the radical leftist Demmie agenda, didn't see anything scary about it, but would be spooked & stampeded if a conservative clears his/her throat, therefore the GOP must offer only Democrat Lite, pander to the pop media, & never raise their voices. This culminated in the debacle of the McCain "campaign" & treachery by the likes of Arlen Specter, to give the Dems the WH & supermajorities in Congress.
All eyes will be on Tampa, Florida as Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan attempt to reset the presidential campaign narrative. As all conventions are, this one will be a tightly scripted affair with the intention of firing up the party base and appealing to Mr. and Mrs. Swing Voter.
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 22 minutes ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Pelosi’s office retreats on Hobby Lobby “ban” claim Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago