Being catholic, I find these statistics suspect. Many of the catholics that I know do not want 'amnesty' or anything that looks like it and they want the borders secured first.

The Unfriendly Skies

Donna371 Wrote: Aug 31, 2013 8:31 AM
Both airlines have had problems over the years. The reason they do is because they have a bad business model. Put two companies together that have a bad business model together and what do you get-a larger company with a bad business model. The lawsuit may not be the worst thing in the world and keep all of the carriers more competitive.

Ignorance is Bliss

Donna371 Wrote: Aug 31, 2013 8:22 AM
Yes, it is quite true. I remember in my earlier years in school learning how to write a letter and then how to address the envelope and mail. Sadly it is true, they no longer teach how to address an envelope in school. When I asked a 19 year old how this could happen he responded that he had never had to do it growing up and that he always uses email. Then thinking back-it was true, in fact, whenever a birthday card or other was sent out from him, his mother addressed the envelope for him under the belief that it would never get done unless she intervened and took care of the envelope part. His mother is now truly embarrassed by this and kicking herself. Oh and by the way, they no longer teach how to write in cursive in most public schools.

Failing Our Children

Donna371 Wrote: Aug 09, 2013 8:23 AM
"Young people graduate from high school expecting everything to be handed to them and run smack dab into the real world." Unfortunately, this is not true for the many that are going onto our institutions of higher learning. Have you seen the off-campus apartment and condos that kids in college are now being offered? There are pools with waterfalls, beach volleyball courts, tanning salons, media rooms, etc. It sure beats the cockroach infested fire trap I lived in while attending graduate school.

Are We Rome Yet?

Donna371 Wrote: Jul 31, 2013 8:17 AM
Yes, we are Rome. Except we are like Rome on steroids. Our athletes are our gladiators-which rather than have to go to a coliseum we can just play in our living rooms on our 60 inch tvs. These days I am not holding our much hope for us.
Bernard Goetz. He bought a gun because he had been the victim of subway robbey before. A very non-descript small man. He actually shot at least one of the kids in the back as the kid was running away and paralyzed him. Goetz wound up convicted of a gun charge but that was it. The grand jury refused to indict.
I recently had a conversation with a retired police officer. He told me that he had often heard people complain about profiling and then he would respond by telling them how he and his fellow officers profiled all the time and then he explained that the profiling was done on the white teen or twenty-something driving into the ghetto at 11pm. The complainers would get silent and there would be no more discussion about profiling. Of course, because the profiled persons were white so then it's o.k. I have on a few occasions been subjected to the strip down at the airport . On one occasion it was because my 7 year old's carry on set off some secret message that the TSA refused to explain to me. While in the privacy area I commented 'This is ridiculous. You really should profile.' The office got indignant and said 'Timothy McVeigh was a terrorist.' That seems to be the standard response. The one white person that committed a heinous act. Of course, I was not a man driving a pick-up. I was a middle-aged woman traveling with two of her sons who were playing game boys and I-pods. Go figure. By the way, if someone here knows. What exactly does "Justice for Trayvon" really mean? I have read and seen those signs and am not sure what exactly they want. We seem to be a lawless nation right now with the executive branch not following the written law so it is likely that Holder will bring charges against Zimmerman. However, if he does not, what does "Justice for Trayvon" look like. It is dragging Zimmerman out and hanging him from the nearest tree or is it mostly black crowd beating a white cameraman doing his job.

America's Sociopath Fetish

Donna371 Wrote: Jul 12, 2013 10:05 AM
Don't worry most of these types think nothing of aborting their fetuses.

Sex and the Military

Donna371 Wrote: Jun 12, 2013 8:18 AM
Actually, whether or not you served has everything to do with it because then you would understand better what Dr. Sowell is talking about. He isn't talking just about rape and sexual assaults. He's talking about the entire concept of men and women serving together under combat conditions. I served in the Navy right after they began to have women and men serve together on sub-tenders. The incidence of pregnancies before deployments would increase exponentially thus having to take the now-pregnant woman out of her billet and be filled with a man-who thought he was getting a shore tour but was now going back to sea. Talk about resentment. Going even further, why is it that they hand out condoms at colleges because the students there cannot control their sexual desires but then put the same aged adults together in various military commands and tell them to "Just say no!" Anyone who has served really understands this.
It's sickening to me. I know someone that took the loans just because she could to have a higher standard of living and then dropped out. Now she is in arrears and likes to say that it's not her fault because they (being the government) made it too easy for her to do this and the government should be responsible.

From the Brooklyn Bridge to London

Donna371 Wrote: May 25, 2013 8:31 AM
Really, I think Paulo was using sarcasm...did you miss that?