Vienna was home to 23 synagogues prior to World War II, only one of which outlasted the Nazis --the Stadttempel, which was constructed in 1825 and 1826 and which survived Kristallnacht in November, 1938. This beautiful house of worship was saved because the emperor had ordered that it be built behind facades and as part of an organic structure which included apartment buildings and which shielded passers-by on the street from the view of a non-Catholic house of worship. The terrorists of Kristallnacht could not torch the temple without burning down the homes of gentiles and without endangering one of...
My copy of "The Fallen Angel" arrived in the mail from Amazon.com the same day Daniel Silva appeared on Hannity, along with two other very interesting people. What a coincidence. I was surprised that Silva seems to be a conservative. Just finished the book. It definitely was everything that Hugh Hewitt said. For those who enjoy this type of storytelling, I highly recommend reading all of Daniel Silva's books. Two other really great storytellers are David Baldacci and Steve Berry. Those three are excellent storytellers.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- FL-13 special election: Jolly wins! Erika Johnsen 6 hours ago
- Finally: “Frozen,” the honest trailer Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Union leaders: Man, this Keystone XL decision just “reeks of politics” Erika Johnsen 7 hours ago