It's true that the "good old days" weren't always good, but we should also remember that our belief that we're completely superior to previous generations of Americans doesn't even remotely square with reality. It's fine to pat ourselves on the back for being wealthier, more educated and considerably less racist than we used to be, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that those less educated, backward people in their antiquated clothes were head and shoulders better than we are in a myriad of other ways. We should remember that the real problem isn't having a problem; it's having a...
"To Jeffersonian levels? That's just stupid, though some military cutting does need to happen. :" Of course it's stupid, so why does Hawkins bring it up? Why do some Republicans refuse to decrease military spending -- in fact, some are asking for an increase. That's insane when we have a $16 trillion debt.
- IRS: The evolution of a scandal in the president’s mind Mary Katharine Ham 34 minutes ago
- Uh oh: House Democrats ready to blow up Obama’s nuclear deal with Iran? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Charlie Cook: This is one of the most dramatic shifts in a generic congressional ballot I’ve ever seen jeffdunetz 2 hours ago
- Chris Matthews: If South Africa’s apartheid government could see the error of its ways, why can’t the GOP? Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Sensenbrenner: Clapper needs to be prosecuted for lying to Congress Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Gallup: 52% want to scale back or repeal ObamaCare — down from 57% in early 2011; Update: Young adults expect law to be repealed Allahpundit 4 hours ago