No one, not even the hard-liners, are demanding that we immediately deport all illegal immigrants overnight. Rather we are trying to incentivise illegal immigrants to leave on their own by abolishing benefits for illegal immigrants. Big difference. Regardless of policy none of this matters until the border fence is completed and the border is secured - then we can talk about "compassion".
On Wednesday evening former Secretary of State Condi Rice picked a fight with a large and vocal section of the Republican base, and I’m glad she did. This confrontation is long overdue. Zero-tolerance law-and-order rhetoric about the immigration issue has become the standard for talk radio and other conservative circles, and I think that this fact puts much of the conservative movement at odds with two of its most important foundations: a view of compassion derived from the Biblical tradition, and a commitment to economic freedom and limited government as an optimistic upward path to prosperity.
Here’s what she said:...
- Venezuelan protesters digging in for the long haul Erika Johnsen 43 minutes ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Finally: Young liberals ready to explain the news to America Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- White House on Democrats’ global-warming talkathon: We salute you Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Poll: 55% of Americans under age 35 oppose sanctions on Russia Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: C’mon, America, let’s ban the word “bossy” Allahpundit 4 hours ago