No one, not even the hard-liners, are demanding that we immediately deport all illegal immigrants overnight. Rather we are trying to incentivise illegal immigrants to leave on their own by abolishing benefits for illegal immigrants. Big difference. Regardless of policy none of this matters until the border fence is completed and the border is secured - then we can talk about "compassion".
On Wednesday evening former Secretary of State Condi Rice picked a fight with a large and vocal section of the Republican base, and I’m glad she did. This confrontation is long overdue. Zero-tolerance law-and-order rhetoric about the immigration issue has become the standard for talk radio and other conservative circles, and I think that this fact puts much of the conservative movement at odds with two of its most important foundations: a view of compassion derived from the Biblical tradition, and a commitment to economic freedom and limited government as an optimistic upward path to prosperity.
Here’s what she said:...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- There will be nothing from the president tonight on the beheading of an American journalist Update: Statement tomorrow Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Spot the problems with these headlines: NYT edition Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Video: The day John McCain did the robot Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Poll: 82% think it should be illegal to let your nine-year-old play at the park unsupervised Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- “Heads up high”: The Cumberland Little League consolation speech Allahpundit 9 hours ago