Most of us today think of Harlem as a black community, but it was not that for most of its 400-year history. John James Audubon, famed for his studies of birds, was...
Now that the work requirement for welfare has been removed we will probably see more Harlems. I wish our leaders really wanted what is best for the betterment of people.
Books about the history of Harlem have long fascinated me -- my favorite being "When Harlem Was in Vogue" by David Levering Lewis. However, a more recent book, titled simply "Harlem" by Jonathan Gill, presents a more comprehensive history -- going all the way back to the time when the Dutch were the first settlers of New York, and named that area for the city of Haarlem in the Netherlands.
- Obama: Health insurance isn’t expensive – just cancel cable and phones Ed Morrissey 43 minutes ago
- Washington, Europe getting serious about Russia sanctions over Crimea? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Scarborough: FL-13 upset shows 2014 will be “historic” Dem loss Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- NBC/WSJ poll shows Obama approval at new low of 41% Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago