Most of us today think of Harlem as a black community, but it was not that for most of its 400-year history. John James Audubon, famed for his studies of birds, was...
Now that the work requirement for welfare has been removed we will probably see more Harlems. I wish our leaders really wanted what is best for the betterment of people.
Books about the history of Harlem have long fascinated me -- my favorite being "When Harlem Was in Vogue" by David Levering Lewis. However, a more recent book, titled simply "Harlem" by Jonathan Gill, presents a more comprehensive history -- going all the way back to the time when the Dutch were the first settlers of New York, and named that area for the city of Haarlem in the Netherlands.
- The unbearable lightness of Hillary, 2016 Noah Rothman 43 mins ago
- Great news: 36% of Americans can name all three branches of government Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- US Navy spying on private citizens? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Senate’s possible 2016 hopefuls gambling that ISIS war will be unpopular soon Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Biden to women’s conference: I miss Republicans like Bob Packwood Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Bob Beckel: Get ready for an October surprise, Republicans Allahpundit 4 hours ago