The debt limit should not be an issue between Congress and the President. If Congress did not appropriate the money in the first place, we wouldn't have the problem. It is really an issue between some elements and other elements within Congress. I would suggest that if the R's in the House are serious about reducing spending, they agree on a spending cap for the next budget and increase the ceiling only enough to allow for that budget. Then pass a budget within the cap and negotiate with the Senate only regarding how funds are allocated within the cap. Stand firm. When the Senate and President decide they would rather have a responsible budget than no budget, they will approve.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago