The debt limit should not be an issue between Congress and the President. If Congress did not appropriate the money in the first place, we wouldn't have the problem. It is really an issue between some elements and other elements within Congress. I would suggest that if the R's in the House are serious about reducing spending, they agree on a spending cap for the next budget and increase the ceiling only enough to allow for that budget. Then pass a budget within the cap and negotiate with the Senate only regarding how funds are allocated within the cap. Stand firm. When the Senate and President decide they would rather have a responsible budget than no budget, they will approve.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Brave cat jumps from fiery collapsing building, saves no one but himself Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- D.C. cabs companies blame ride-sharing for loss of revenue Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Pew poll: Majority of Republicans think GOP isn’t doing a good job on spending, immigration, and gay marriage Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Ruth Bader Ginsberg to liberals: You really think Obama can replace me? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Building blocks of the GOP Senate majority coming together Noah Rothman 4 hours ago