Economic freedom does not necessarily lead to economic prosperity. The people must be an industrious lot seeking the American dream. Our founders understood this and famously explained that our system wasn't for anybody. I suggest our current situation is less due to insufficient explanations than to a changing character of the American electorate that still seeks the American dream but looks to the government to provide it for them. Remember, we have the government that the people chose. Another way, our government reflects the American people. Don't like the government? The government is not the problem, we are.
Here's a which-is-better question for you. Suppose a New Jersey motel room rented for $125 a night prior to Hurricane Sandy's devastation. When the hurricane hits, a husband, wife and their two youngsters might seek the comfort of renting two adjoining rooms. However, when they arrive at the motel, they find that rooms now rent for $250. At that price, they might decide to make do with one room. In my book, that would be wonderful. That decision would make a room available for another family who had to evacuate Sandy's wrath. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and others condemn this...
- Hmm: Tsarnaev sister arrested for alleged bomb threat Mary Katharine Ham 48 mins ago
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Liberal magazine cautions journalists WH playing them with shutdown fears, is ignored Noah Rothman 4 hours ago