As Katie has noted above, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee has concluded that Lois Lerner waived her Fifth Amendment rights at the hearing last week by reading a statement protesting her innocence. Thus, the subpoena directed to her remains in effect and she may be recalled to testify before the committee.
But what if she invokes the Fifth again? Presumably, she would be held in contempt of Congress. And again: So what? So was Eric Holder, with little to show for it. So how does Congress enforce any sanction against Lerner?
It's not easy. As this
- Gates: No “hope of success” against ISIS without boots on the ground Ed Morrissey 32 mins ago
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Benghazi hearings about to force the press to pay attention Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- CBS/NYT poll shows Obama at new low on terrorism, foreign policy Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Sotloff “fixer”: Americans never contacted me after his abduction Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago