A piece this week on the portion of Americans working in their prime received a lot of attention, but the fact of the matter is that this is a trend that has gone turbo over the last few years. The author noted that the participation has declined to 75.7% for 25-54 year olds down from pre-recession level of 80%. These are people that have simply dropped out of the job market. While it skews the unemployment rate to a more flattering number, it has a truly devastating impact on the economy and on the individuals that find the sofa more appealing...
In response to:
I became a proud Dad yesterday as my 15 1/2 year old boy got his first job. It is only 3 nights a week but it will carry him thru high school.
- The Democrats have a fee-vah and the only prescription is a new government shutdown Allahpundit 27 mins ago
- Should childhood be prisonhood? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Great news: You’re paying for a 1 year experiment to find out if the universe is a hologram Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Feminists oppose anti-date rape drug technology Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Poroshenko declares new Russian “invasion” as rebels open new front Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Hot Air at the Fair! Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago