Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
You're wrong! Go back and look at the annual percentage of GNP used to support our military and you will see some drastic ups and downs. Granted, we ned to reduce forces from time to time but, we do not need to create a "hollow" force incapable of protecting this country. We're pushing hard in that direction.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 24 minutes ago
- On notice: Mitch McConnell is ready to “crush” the Tea Party Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Noonan on latest ObamaCare delay: Is there even an ObamaCare law anymore? Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- Video: Gates sees defense cuts as showing a lack of seriousness by US Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- CPAC: Fred Thompson and Persecuted Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- WH: Hey, Obama golfing in Key Largo during this crisis is the same as if he were in DC, only warmer Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago