Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
You're wrong! Go back and look at the annual percentage of GNP used to support our military and you will see some drastic ups and downs. Granted, we ned to reduce forces from time to time but, we do not need to create a "hollow" force incapable of protecting this country. We're pushing hard in that direction.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Want to go blind with rage? Read this letter from ISIS to the Foley family Noah Rothman 49 mins ago
- “Direct invasion”: Aid convoy enters Ukraine Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Teamsters appeal to “Top Chef” for employment by threatening to bash in Padma Lakshmi’s face Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Rick Perry: It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- “Today is a miraculous day”: Dr. Kent Brantly speaks after recovering from Ebola Allahpundit 13 hours ago