Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
You're wrong! Go back and look at the annual percentage of GNP used to support our military and you will see some drastic ups and downs. Granted, we ned to reduce forces from time to time but, we do not need to create a "hollow" force incapable of protecting this country. We're pushing hard in that direction.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Last straw: ObamaCare now ruining baseball Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- US reconfirms policy of not paying ransoms to terrorists for abducted Americans Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Jake Tapper: Getting a conviction against Darren Wilson could be an ‘uphill battle’ Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- NYT poll: 65% of whites, 80% of blacks say police shouldn’t have military-style weapons Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- In effort to shield Obama from criticism on ISIS, White House makes everything worse Noah Rothman 7 hours ago