Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
You're wrong! Go back and look at the annual percentage of GNP used to support our military and you will see some drastic ups and downs. Granted, we ned to reduce forces from time to time but, we do not need to create a "hollow" force incapable of protecting this country. We're pushing hard in that direction.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- The left’s war on football Noah Rothman 52 mins ago
- Does the Left really reject Hillary? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Australian raids net more than a dozen terror suspects before planned wave of attacks Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Sigh: Busch Gardens removes disembodied heads from Halloween display Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Holder running out the clock on Fast & Furious? Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago