Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
You're wrong! Go back and look at the annual percentage of GNP used to support our military and you will see some drastic ups and downs. Granted, we ned to reduce forces from time to time but, we do not need to create a "hollow" force incapable of protecting this country. We're pushing hard in that direction.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Not exactly self-isolation: Ebola patient’s itinerary prompts questions about protocols Ed Morrissey 22 mins ago
- Does Georgia vote Democratic in 2014? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Martha Coakley’s campaign seems to be in mid-collapse Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Half of Americans willing to pay zero additional dollars for EPA carbon regs Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Video: Hatchet-wielding attacker has “Islamic extremist leanings” Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago