Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
You're wrong! Go back and look at the annual percentage of GNP used to support our military and you will see some drastic ups and downs. Granted, we ned to reduce forces from time to time but, we do not need to create a "hollow" force incapable of protecting this country. We're pushing hard in that direction.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 21 hours ago