Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
"Dominating the world" is not the issue here. Preservation of the nation is at stake. As Dr. Sowell points out, we do not have the luxury of sitting behind our two ocean barrier any more New sophisticated weapons have made them obsolete. if we are not prepared to immediately thwart the efforts of an enemy, whoever it may be, we will not have the time, as we did in WWII, to ramp up for combat. It'll be all over before that!
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- WaPo: Say, this President doesn’t seem terribly competent at foreign policy, huh? Ed Morrissey 28 mins ago
- On the dismissal of the Chris McDaniel challenge in Mississippi Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 14 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 15 hours ago