Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
"Dominating the world" is not the issue here. Preservation of the nation is at stake. As Dr. Sowell points out, we do not have the luxury of sitting behind our two ocean barrier any more New sophisticated weapons have made them obsolete. if we are not prepared to immediately thwart the efforts of an enemy, whoever it may be, we will not have the time, as we did in WWII, to ramp up for combat. It'll be all over before that!
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Obama: How terrible of Congress to ruin Christmas by … causing people to lose their insurance Allahpundit 34 minutes ago
- Confirmed: Martin Bashir too nasty even for MSNBC Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- ADP report: 215K private-sector jobs added in November Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Whodunit: Hezbollah leader killed in Beirut Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Report: 29,000 sign-ups on Healthcare.gov in first two days of December Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Waterloo: Obama now below 40 percent approval on nearly every issue polled Guy Benson 4 hours ago