We can all read the Bible and I do frequently. Opinions about what is Christian or not vary and I don't pretend to have any final say on it.
I think Mozilla was wrong to fire him (though I am neither a Christian nor against gay marriage), but, what Mr. Hawkins, whose work I enjoy, suggests doesn't sound particularly Christian to me, if you think of the Sermon on the Mount or even the golden rules as best typifying it. He's suggesting a political strategy that probably all partisans engage in, but it doesn't strike me as being particularly Christian. Why be like people with whom he disagrees? Why not let his good works shine before men? Isn't that the better principal?

A Force More Powerful Than Oscar

DHE Wrote: Feb 25, 2014 8:01 AM
Another well intended, but wrong headed cause doomed to failure. And, it should fail, however much tv would probably be improved in my mind or that of others if it succeeded. Personally, I shake my head when I sat with my gf when she watched Two Broke Girls and the whole episode was about getting high, with no real disapproval shown. I shook my head when 10 years ago on Buffy the Vampire Slayer she (invisible) performed a sex act on a vampire. I shake my head all the time. I wish there were more shows like Walker: Texas Ranger. But, "Hollywood" puts on what shows and makes movies people want to watch. It's called ratings. Who do they think are watching these shows? Doesn't matter if I like them, Mr. Norris likes them or anyone else. I think those who want to "correct" tv/movies make some mistakes. First, Hollywood follows culture, not vise versa. If the powers that be thought putting on chaste morality plays would work, they would put them on instead of soap operas. That is called sales. Second, you can raise your children not to be overtly sexual (they are, inside, what they are) and to avoid sexual media. It is called child raising. And though I know you can't control the environment they are in completely - and shouldn't, people can do a lot better job of raising their kids with values. But, it starts when they are infants. That doesn't mean you should teach your kids sex is bad or that they should never have it or to be ashamed of their feelings. Just that they should wait. Third, media has always been more sexualized than the older generation likes. BTW, the Bible is full of sex. Lot's daughter's seduced him. David's son had sex with all his father's concubines in public. Etc. Sex is part of life and literature. Elvis may not upset Mr. Norris now, but he upset a whole lot of older folks back then.
Mr. Goldberg just doesn't get it now anymore than he got it when he said Nathan Silver didn't know what he was talking about. The problem with the last two GOP candidates was not that they could not distance themselves from an unpopular president. It is because they could not distance themselves from the far right. And if Mr. Goldberg and other commentators have their way, we get Clinton for 4 or 8 years too.

In Syria, Obama Makes a Tough Call Tougher

DHE Wrote: Aug 30, 2013 10:47 AM
You are asserting that there is a growing number of active jihadists in the military. How do you know that? We have no proof. If we did, we would know names (this is not decades ago, but right now). Nidal Hasan is convicted, so we can't count him. Other than that, though, I agree we should stay out and not make friends with our enemies simply to end a regime we don't like, when we have no idea whether it will be friendly to us and our friend, Israel, or not (likely not). And, I agree, Pres. Obama is getting worse and worse. Unfortunately, right now, with the Republicans in a state of internecine political warfare between fiscal and cultural conservatives, there is no good reason to expect that it will change in 3 1/2 years.

In Syria, Obama Makes a Tough Call Tougher

DHE Wrote: Aug 30, 2013 10:35 AM
I hope you didn't spend too much time looking. It's not there. But, I think people on both sides of the aisle agree that the president can certainly defend the country with military action - even in anticipation of it. It is a tougher question where to draw that line and whether it can extend to allies, but I don't see it near this situation at all. We just do not have an interest in it. He should not act unilaterally here. Period. Those who think it is okay may be faced one day with someone they dislike who will have the same power. Once a president crosses a line and isn't tackled, the next president harnesses the same powers. That is the general rule, and I don't know if it has ever been broken.

In Syria, Obama Makes a Tough Call Tougher

DHE Wrote: Aug 30, 2013 7:27 AM
Yes, I remember Reagan's great leadership in Lebanon. Please. America should not be involved in the Middle East period except to support groups reasonably expected to pursue enlightenment values. So, almost none. Besides, there is no sound evidence we have which allows us to determine who has been using chemical weapons. Last, I am not for our continued use of our military except where Americans or a close ally is in danger on the whim of the president. Congress has foolishly abrogated its own constitutional power. And it doesn't matter to me whether that president is Bush or Obama - they don't have the right to do it.

Plunge: MSNBC Ratings in Free Fall

DHE Wrote: Aug 30, 2013 7:18 AM
All cable "news" has lost me. I watched Morning Joe for probably 5 minutes or so this year and maybe a minute or two of Hardball. Though Olbermann is gone it seems like the rest of MSNBC hosts other than Scarborough (he might have a great story to tell when he leaves) are following the path he set out for them. Fox I can watch only a little more - a few hours this year, most of it The Five, and that mostly because Greg Gutfield can be funny. CNN still seems intentionally boring. I gave Al Jazeera a shot but it has hardly been riveting. Lots of commercials and self promotion. Five minutes on the internet is much more interesting and informative than an hour of cable news.
I couldn't wait to make some 'War on Christmas' comment but you beat me to it. Usually, the War on Christmas crowd starts writing about the time the traditional holiday season begins, but maybe they will be inspired by Walmart and start early too.

11 Liberal Rules for Racism in America

DHE Wrote: Aug 13, 2013 11:39 AM
Research it Bill. You will find that many values of both parties have changed over time. When the Rep. party began the Dem. party of Douglas and others was all about states rights. And whether anyone likes it or not, racism was the status quo for most of our history. And status quo is what normally defines conservatives. Read the Southern Manifesto.

Rand Paul's Paleo Problem

DHE Wrote: Jul 17, 2013 2:34 PM
Paul is also the most interesting candidate to me. I have not decided anything yet, and his kowtowing to the cultural right on religious issues will make him less attractive to me. Likely. One problem that states' rights activists have is that there was a link between the states' rights and racism since Thomas Jefferson's day. That link is mostly broken (I think that which remains is generational and will lessen more with each passing year). It may not be fair, and they don't have to do it, but those advocating states' rights should emphasize as often as possible deploring racism. Also unfortunately, the cultural right, which is sometimes linked with states' rights, is also linked with bigotry against gays, which many continue to deny - (it's not that they are bigotted, they argue, it is that gays should have fewer rights or they are not being denied rights). They can hang on to that for dear life if they want, but they will not only continue to lose that battle, but it will hurt any candidates chances for election to does not take a stand against it.