Max De Pree has the answer to Ferguson

DG in GA Wrote: Sep 15, 2014 10:04 AM
Combined with no fathers in their homes, no real discipline and living in neighborhoods where the role models are rappers, drug lords, gang members and professional athletes.

Max De Pree has the answer to Ferguson

DG in GA Wrote: Sep 15, 2014 10:01 AM
Pocket, it isn't just the black community, it is the community of poverty. I used to be part of a program that took female business executives to junior high and high schools in areas where there is a high poverty rate. These schools, and their attendant audiences, were predominantly white. In fact the program directors would not allow white female executives to speak in schools with large black populations, because they said black kids will never listen to a white person. Anyway, one of the patterns that emerged across districts is that the poor white kids had no more interest in our message of "get an education, get a job and get out there and support yourself!" than did black kids. The girls we spoke to pretty much envisioned a future that involved doing only what they had to in order to get out of high school, then getting knocked up and going on welfare. Each female executive told her own story, and we engaged the girls by asking them what they wanted to be when they grew up. What came out very clearly is the culture of generational poverty and Uncle Sugar (we the taxpayers) footing the bill for an apartment, food and spending money. While I do not disagree that the general image of "the black community" is one of 50 years of generational poverty, this mindset also exists among poor white people. The behavior that traps a person in poverty is just as ingrained in poor whites. They can't even imagine a life beyond the one they know, except if it comes in the form of a winning lottery ticket or maybe meeting a rich athlete, getting knocked up and having HIM support you for the rest of your life. I volunteered in that program for about five years, but then got disgusted at the futility of it and found different programs where I could lend my skills.

The Third Rail of Domestic Violence

DG in GA Wrote: Sep 12, 2014 12:08 PM
I'm not saying that Palmer deserved to be punched out, but the video does show her going after Rice. I seriously doubt that this was the first time the two of them engaged in physical violence. I wish I could remember the athlete, but I recently heard a radio discussion about an athlete who, in his post-abuse "apology" on ESPN also advised women "not to provoke" their men to violence. This became a very controversial remark, because the popular, politically correct meme is that there is NEVER any justification for hitting a woman, that the man is ALWAYS to blame and the woman is ALWAYS the victim. I think, however, that sometimes the women DO provoke it. I think there is even some cultural basis for women giving as good as they get. I think Janay Rice is one of these women. I work with a highly educated, successful black woman who was telling a story at lunch one day about having her husband's family over to dinner. Her husband's brother had a couple of drinks and apparently said something my colleague didn't like. Instead of just telling him to be quiet, she grabbed the carving knife off the platter and held it to his throat, threatening his life if he didn't shut up. I was stunned, and the black women at the table laughed. I looked at my colleague and said, "You didn't really do that, did you?" She laughed and rolled her eyes and said, "Honey, you ain't black. I'm not letting some fool talk trash in MY house!"

Favors and Loot for Sale

DG in GA Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 9:12 AM
I recently assisted someone I know with his Congressional campaign. I was naive enough to think that the issues were the most important thing, but soon learned it was the money. How much will someone give and how often can we go to the same well. Phone call after phone call, mailing after mailing, meet & greet, handshaking and baby kissing, first and foremost it was money money money money. I used to hear about people running for Congress going house to house to talk about the issues, but I can't imagine someone doing that today, unless they are running in a sparsely populated district. The Party requires specific levels of fundraising, and that is the sole measure of a candidate.

Hold On, Mr. President

DG in GA Wrote: Sep 10, 2014 9:04 AM
How about we offer to get all of the Christians out of the Arab countries, defend Israel to the hilt and then let the Sunnis, Shias and Kurds duke it out amongst themselves. Wasn't it Sun Tzu who said something to the effect that when your enemy is busy killing themselves, LET THEM!!! I know some people say, "Well this group or that group of Islamists is our friend," but frankly, NONE of them are friendly to the United States. We arm one group against another and before long they use those arms against us. Because they may fight among themselves all day long, but in the final analysis, the West and Israel are who they really consider the enemy.

Matt Shepard Goes To Tehran

DG in GA Wrote: Sep 08, 2014 10:49 AM
While I agree with Dr. Adams that the media will not cover the executions of gay men by Muslims, any more than they will cover other atrocities perpetrated by Muslims without covering up the fact that the perps were Muslims, so the news media will only cover crimes committed against a favored group. As for the Michael Brown case, that would not have been news beyond Day 1 without the entrance of Parks & Crump, an ambulance-chasing law firm, who want to sue the city on behalf of Michael Brown's parents. If that police officer is not charged with something, there can be no lawsuit, therefore no payday. Parks & Crump employ a PR firm to get every little thing they want into the media, and they have all of the usual race hustlers on speed dial to gin up "protests." Similarly, CAIR employs PR people who can direct the media narrative to spin things their way. The media will even publish lies if they benefit a favored group - or a group they are afraid of.
Hmmm, if Jennifer Lawrence had not either taken naked pictures of herself or allowed someone else to take them, she would not be in this predicament. Same with all of the other actresses who are so outraged that these naked pictures are now out on the internet and they didn't get PAID for them. Every self-respecting woman knows that you never have to worry about naked pictures of yourself getting out in public if you never have any taken. And that includes Polaroids taken by your spouse or boyfriend, who could end up being your ex. My husband doesn't need naked pics. He has the real thing.
Especially since I think the Tesla retails for around $70 - $80K. How many of THOSE do they really think they can sell? I've read they have a range of about 200 miles. At that point you have to plug it in to recharge for FOUR HOURS. I guess if you find a turbo-recharging center (about as common as unicorns) you can recharge in a half hour or so. Electric cars aren't catching on because they aren't practical. The Volt would not get me to and from my job here in Atlanta. I can't take the chance of getting stranded on I-75 every day on my way home from work. Forget about running errands at lunch. Hybrid cars have become pretty good, but they're still more expensive to buy, and they don't get the kind of gas mileage to justify the higher purchase price. I've also heard from friends who piously bought the Prius when it came out, that as the battery life runs down (as the car ages) it needs to run on gas more and more and you pretty much lose any hybrid benefit. It is also outrageously expensive to replace the battery after 8 years or so.
Actually Spirit, despite the fact that I am one of seven kids who each had several kids we only had one female child who got pregnant before she was married, and she gave that child up for adoption because it was in the best interests of the baby. Even though she is now married with kids of her own, she still thinks of that child and hopes he is happy. But at least he did not end up in a biohazard bag, and she did not end up in public housing with a bunch of illegitimate kids.
Even with the high percentage of black babies who are aborted, still 70% of black children are born to unmarried women, and around 40% of white babies. While I understand Ann Anon's point about angry, abusive, drunken men, I also know that unmarried motherhood is a recipe for poverty and dependence on the state. My grandmother married a man who was an angry, abusive drunk, of the type Ann describes. Her advice for her daughters and granddaughters was to " get your education, have a career and one day, if you decide to get married and have children, that would be nice too. But first know that no matter what happens, you can take care of yourself."
Too late, Matt, she already did. In fact, her impending motherhood is the "official" reason she is leaving NBC.