I agree. I remember when I was growing up measles, mumps and German measles (rubella) were all rites of passage, as was chicken pox. Everyone got them, and everyone recovered. Not sure when measles suddenly became a "deadly" disease. Maybe when the pharmaceutical companies developed a vaccine and went to the government to hype it. I also remember everyone had to get the DPT shot (diptheria, whooping cough and tetanus). We got it before entering kindergarden and I still have the scar. I also remember getting the polio vaccine. They gave it to us on a sugar cube, and it was done IN SCHOOL.
Sorry, Katie, but the Millennials I know are ALL lefties who, like most lefties, are raging hypocrites when it comes to environmental issues. They absolutely support Obummer and every environmental error and regulation he has espoused for the past six years. They talk green, but when it comes to their personal choices, they do not put their money where their mouths are. You may be right that they do buy muscle cars, but they still think gas should cost $5 for everyone else. They absolutely support every dollar of OUR money given to "green energy" companies, including the electric car companies, but when they buy vehicles they buy SUVs because "I like to hike and camp and you can't fit my gear in a Prius." A couple of my Millennial nephews are all in favor of hydrogen fuel cell cars for everyone else, but bought themselves a Lexus convertible and a BMW sports car.

Into the Lion’s Den

DG in GA Wrote: Feb 02, 2015 12:36 PM
He has always taken professional risks, and was withheld tenure because of his political views and writings. I believe he had to sue the university on the ground of a violation of his civil rights (First Amendment) and the Court found in favor of Dr. Adams, who was then granted tenure, something lesser colleagues got years before.

Defense Against Demagogues

DG in GA Wrote: Jan 31, 2015 8:06 AM
Exactly right. Free market econmics allows the gas station owner to charge whatever he wants for the gas - AND it allows you the consumer to go elsewhere to buy your gas. Most gas station / convenience stores make more money on items in the convenience store than they do on gas sales. Much higher profit margins. But they can't make that money if they can't get the customers in the door. In the town where my parents live there is a gas station at a busy intersection on the highway through town. The owners also own another station three blocks away, off the highway. They charge 5¢ per gallon less at the station off the highway. The locals know this, so they skip the station on the highway and go to the one in town. People just passing through either stop at the one on the highway, or the keep on driving to the next town.

NFL Tough Guys Need Dads, Too

DG in GA Wrote: Jan 29, 2015 9:31 AM
Lars, I agree with you, and I was fortunate to have two parents who recently celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary. They weren't perfect, and they had rough patches, but they did their best to raise their kids. All you can ask of someone is that they do their best. Girls who live without a mother in their lives - and without fathers - often seek that parental love and approval from men, from a rather early age. Some have their own babies at an early age, in order "to have someone who loves ME," not because they are in any way ready for parental responsibility. Absent fathers tend to result in undisciplined, out-of-control young men (and women) because once their kids are bigger than they are, mothers have a very difficult time controlling them. Kids crave those positive, responsible role models, and if they can't find them at home, maybe they find one at school or church. More often than not these days, they find them in a gang. As my own parents get closer and closer to being just memories, I tell them frequently how much I love them and how grateful I am for them. They did their best.

Obama Wants to Tax Your Savings...Really

DG in GA Wrote: Jan 26, 2015 12:15 PM
Yeah, I have a young family member who asked for my help in finding his first job when he graduated from college. When I asked what kind of work he wanted to do he said, "I don't know, but it has to pay a starting salary of at least $70K because I have $60,000 in student loans, and I'm planning to rent an apartnent that costs $1800 a month and I have my eye on a new BMW." Then I asked what he knew how to do that would be worth $70K to an employer. He had no idea. He said, "I don't know. That's what I want you to figure out. I do have a college degree after all." I told him to send me his resume and I'd see what I could do. As far as I know he's still living with Mommy & Daddy.

Obama Wants to Tax Your Savings...Really

DG in GA Wrote: Jan 26, 2015 12:08 PM
When Obama proposed (in 2013) putting a cap on 401Ks and IRAs, limiting them to $3,000,000 in total balances tax-free (using Mitt Romney as the example of why NOBODY needs to have $3,000,000 in retirement savings) I mentioned this proposal to a leftie friend of mine. She said that made perfect sense to her, and she agreed that nobody NEEDS that kind of money in a retirement account. She said that the government set up the tax-free accounts and they can take them away if they want to. I was stunned at how blase she was about this notion, considering she is a CPA. I asked her how she'd feel if they lowered the amount to whatever she had in HER 401K and she very smugly said, "Oh, I have MY money in Roth IRAs, so they'll NEVER go after those." You know, for such a smart woman, she really is pretty dumb. And she VOTES for these yahoos.

Obama Wants to Tax Your Savings...Really

DG in GA Wrote: Jan 26, 2015 12:00 PM
Ken, there are any number of reasons why a bank might refuse to refinance a house. Without more very specific information about your family member, his/her finances and the property itself, who knows?

Liberals’ Zany Logic on Holiday Pay

DG in GA Wrote: Jan 25, 2015 11:36 AM
I worked in retail during college and got paid time-and-a-half for Sundays and holidays. My roommates were waitresses and their best days for tips were holidays, especially Thanksgiving. People who eat out on holidays appreciate the staff who make it possible for them to do so. If you don't want to work holidays, don't take the job, or put in for vacation at those times.

Liberals’ Zany Logic on Holiday Pay

DG in GA Wrote: Jan 25, 2015 11:32 AM
My stepson went to Stanford and returned a rabid leftist atheist - and he majored in Chemical Engineering, not anything Liberal Arts! He graduated over 10 years ago and we cannot seem to shake the leftism out of his brain.
Moore doesn't have the stones to survive that Hannibel Lector battle. Of course, I'd eat every coconut on the island before I'd even think of firing up the BBQ to cook his fat a**. And I HATE coconut.