In short, then, the economy stalled after a surprisingly strong February. Employers weren't hiring much and a lot of people gave up looking for jobs. Even the federal government lost jobs - though that was...
The American economy added 88,000 jobs in March, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which was a major miss from predictions. Forecasters were expecting between 150,000-200,000 jobs added. The unemployment rate dropped despite the lackluster number added due to a sharp drop in the labor force participation rate - from 7.7 to 7.6%. Nearly half a million people stopped looking for work in March.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Hmm: Tsarnaev sister arrested for alleged bomb threat Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Infographic of the day: Canada explains Russia and Not Russia to Putin Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- FBI: Russians hackers attacked Wall Street after sanctions imposed Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Texas jury finds dad not guilty in mysterious shooting of drunk driver who killed his two sons Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Unidentified senator to Kirsten Gillibrand: “Don’t lose too much weight now. I like my girls chubby.” Allahpundit 7 hours ago