Is Senator Hagan Getting Nervous?

Dennis2780 Wrote: Aug 15, 2014 1:22 PM
I don't call Tea Party candidates extremists, wacky, or cuckoo. That's what the establishment GOP calls them while blaming them for failing to take the Senate in 2012. I support the Tea Party, and I'm feeling hugely betrayed (I will NEVER forget Mississippi) by a GOP establishment that views people like me as a bigger enemy than Obama, Reid, or Pelosi. They have declared war on me, and, yet, they still expect my money and my vote. I would advise them not to hold their breath.

Is Senator Hagan Getting Nervous?

Dennis2780 Wrote: Aug 15, 2014 12:41 PM
Nobody opposes RINOs more than me. When I voted for John McCain in 2008, I had to come home and take a long shower because I felt so utterly dirty and disgusted. But I would not want to do anything that allowed Hagan to retain this seat. Tillis is an empty suit, but, even so, he's preferable to Hagan. Initially, I thought I wanted the Tea Party to break away from the GOP and form a third party that really welcomed Conservatives like me. But I changed my mind. Now, I think Conservatives can take control of the GOP. We failed in this year's primary if success is defined as upsetting establishment candidates, but The Tea Party is still very much alive and they are learning more and more each year about the way to win (you learn more from defeat than from victory). Just look what the GOP establishment had to do to save their dinosaur in Mississippi -- they are actually bragging about how the "won" in a primary where their candidate did NOT receive the majority of Republican votes. Why in the world should conservatives fear the likes of Thad Cochran, Lindsey Graham, John McCain, etc? Harry Reid thinks they are a joke and treats them that way. That should be our attitude as well. We stand for principled policies, while they have no principles at all. We can win that fight.

Is Senator Hagan Getting Nervous?

Dennis2780 Wrote: Aug 15, 2014 12:10 PM
I rated this article "insane," a rating I can rarely remember giving in the past (maybe never). Here's why. The article claims that the fact Democrats are pouring tons of money into this campaign PROVES that the Hagan camp is panicking. Here's my wild and crazy, just off the top of my head counter explanation for why Democrats are pouring money in -- they think they can WIN! Stop and cogitate on that for a moment. North Carolina went for Romney in 2012, and Republicans have dominated in-state races there for several years. President Obama's approval ratings are at record lows, his signature healthcare legislation is a disaster, the world is on fire, and, oh yes, I almost forgot the super most important factor -- the GOP establishment was able to prevent one of those wacky, extremist cuckoos from the Tea Party from winning the nomination. This race should have been over 2 months ago, and, yet, it's still close enough that the Democrats think they can win. Is Hagan such a towering force in North Carolina, a fearsome campaigner and admired from every corner? Please! Not even close. She carries enough baggage to require a fleet of SUVs. So why is the race close? Because "our" candidate (Tillis) is about as exciting and inspiring as a 5 day old doughnut. In November, I will be hoping that Hagan loses (which is NOT the same as hoping Tillis wins), but if she somehow miraculously survives, I will enjoy listening to all those GOP establishment pundits and analysts trying to explain what happened and discovering -- Voila! -- that somehow the Tea Party was to blame.

Part One: The Problem With The Right

Dennis2780 Wrote: Aug 14, 2014 11:39 AM
OK. I can't argue with anything Mr. Hunter said in his article (unlike his previous ones), but, in a similar way, I wouldn't be able to argue with someone who said, "Grass is green," or "The sky is blue." I'm willing to suspend any criticism, however, until I read his follow-on, because, perhaps, he was merely setting the stage here. I hope so since, otherwise, he's wasted a lot of ink.
I think it was Ronald Reagan who is credited with saying, "I can't help but notice that everyone who supports abortion rights is someone who has already been born."

An Open Letter to the Political Right

Dennis2780 Wrote: Aug 03, 2014 4:09 PM
Your point has validity; in fact, it is basically that argument that has caused me to vote for candidate after candidate (with an"R" beside his/her name) who I knew would never fight for the principles I believed in. But you can only vote against your conscience for so long before you begin to realize that what is happening is that you're losing your conscience. I have just as much desire as you to see the Left lose elections, but that is exactly what the establishment continues to count on. Democrats never help African-Americans because they know African-Americans will vote for them regardless. Similarly, the Republican establishment can virtually ignore those who really believe in limited government and reducing spending because those people will vote Republican anyway. There is only one way to change the minds of politicians like that because there is only one priority that matters to them -- getting elected so they can share the spoils and the power. The only option we have is to get them thrown out.

An Open Letter to the Political Right

Dennis2780 Wrote: Aug 03, 2014 12:45 PM
I support the concept (too bad Mr. Hunter couldn't have persuaded Lisa Murkowski in Alaska, or the state GOP in Indiana, Delaware, and Nevada when candidates they disapproved of won the GOP primary but got nothing but the back of the hand from the establishment), and for 2014, it's pretty easy to actually follow the advice given because there is no Mitt Romney or (worse) John McCain at the top of a ticket. I have voted Republican in every election, beginning in 1980. Some years were worse than others (voting for John McCain required me to take a very long shower while voting for Romney merely required me to hold my nose for a brief time), but starting in 1988 and continuing through to 2012, the Republican Party has done its dead level best to squash Conservatives like me. And this year, the Republican Establishment made no secret of the fact that they had declared war on us. Those of us who support the Tea Party principles of reduced federal spending and smaller government were made to see the message loud and clear: We were a bigger enemy to the establishment than President Obama, Nancy Pelosi, or Harry Reid. I can't forget that, and I won't put it aside in 2016. What happened in Mississippi was the absolute "last straw." The Republican Party can go fish. If there isn't a Conservative at the top of the ticket in 2016, or if the GOP surrenders on amnesty in the interim, I will do everything in my power to make them irrelevant.

The Fragmentary South

Dennis2780 Wrote: Jul 19, 2014 3:51 PM
Isn't that a famous line from a Ricky Nelson tune? Regardless, I like it.

The Fragmentary South

Dennis2780 Wrote: Jul 19, 2014 3:50 PM
Love the references to Flannery O'Connor, one of my all-time favorites, who also wrote my favorite line in all of literature (from her short story, "A Good Man Is Hard to Find"): "She'd a been a good woman, if there was somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life." As for her grotesque characters, she was once asked why she felt the need to create such characters. Her answer was just like that straight shot of whiskey that Mr. Greenberg remembers so fondly. She said, "When you're writing for the blind, you have to use BIG letters."

A Crisis Born of Inaction

Dennis2780 Wrote: Jun 20, 2014 1:29 PM
Ms. Chavez makes several assumptions here that I would classify, politely, as "debatable." Many of these children have been airlifted, at taxpayers' expense, to other states, such as Arizona, where the sheer numbers involved overwhelm existing services. Some children have even been transported as far away as Massachusetts, where the governor of that state, supposedly a friend of President Obama, admits that he was not consulted prior to the arrival of these children. Yet, in the face of this chaotic and disorganized activity, Ms. Chavez seems content in assuming that hearing dates will be handled effectively and efficiently. I would label such optimism as "boundless," again politely. Moreover, Ms. Chavez barely even addresses the 900 pound gorilla in this tragedy -- the total lack of border security. I am sympathetic to those like Ms. Chavez, who believe our immigration laws are in bad need of reform. They absolutely do! But unless and until we get serious about border security, reform is ludicrous. I would ask Ms. Chavez what other leverage someone like me has for real border security other than firmly resisting reform. Frankly, I can't see any. Finally, with this current administration in power, would Ms. Chavez be willing to assure me that this administration would enforce border security, even if Congress mandated it?