Will Democrats End Marriage As We Know It?

DEmike Wrote: Aug 01, 2012 11:43 AM
DMC: Yes, that is what you said yesterday and you have not supported that statement. Otherwise the implication was: Same sex marriage is NOT a threat to America or any one. It does not interfere with any one's rights. It does not interfere in any way with opposite sex couples getting married and raising families.

Will Democrats End Marriage As We Know It?

DEmike Wrote: Aug 01, 2012 11:39 AM
Larue: No one is forcing you to become gay, like gays, live with gays, have gay friends or anything. For that matter, you can go on hating gays for the rest of your life. Although claimed by many, no one has yet to show how my marriage will be affected by anything anyone else does. And if you weren’t born straight, could you please describe how and why you decided to and what it would take to make you choose to be gay?

Will Democrats End Marriage As We Know It?

DEmike Wrote: Aug 01, 2012 11:31 AM
concealed: I agree completely, I really do. I wish also that the GOP would return to the principles of Eisenhower. They too have devolved into petty jingoism and superficial mega-church Christianity. And no one compromises now. It is an all-or-nothing political environment.

Will Democrats End Marriage As We Know It?

DEmike Wrote: Aug 01, 2012 11:17 AM
Yes, they do. Consent in this sense is equated with the notion of individual freedom. It’s odd that conservatives would oppose that. And the notion of “age of consent” is a relatively recent idea when compared to the idea of marriage which goes back to the beginnings of society. It is one of the many ways in which marriage has been redefined throughout its long history.

Will Democrats End Marriage As We Know It?

DEmike Wrote: Aug 01, 2012 11:13 AM
DMC: Innocent in that they have not engaged in the act that had angered this temperamental deity and I mentioned children as they are the most venerable members of society and therefore suffer the most when this deity “weighs in” as Gabriela said. And as a Catholic, I believe in the One True God. You frequently clutch at straws in your attempts to make an argument.

Will Democrats End Marriage As We Know It?

DEmike Wrote: Aug 01, 2012 11:05 AM
wmou: I don’t believe so. The RCC has a rather strict definition to marriage that is already outside of what the government allows yet it has had no affect on the Church. But I do agree completely with your last sentence.

Will Democrats End Marriage As We Know It?

DEmike Wrote: Aug 01, 2012 11:05 AM
DMC: I addressed that to you yesterday and you’ve yet to come up with any way in which it does.

Will Democrats End Marriage As We Know It?

DEmike Wrote: Aug 01, 2012 10:57 AM
And just how do you propose that?

Will Democrats End Marriage As We Know It?

DEmike Wrote: Aug 01, 2012 10:33 AM
Gab: So let me get this straight. The god you believe in gets angry when people don’t follow his instructions and he punishes innocent children and the people who do follow his instructions. Wow, I am so glad I’m a Catholic. On the plus side, I like how he got your bed frame apart. It’s a shame though that he doesn’t do the same for other good people praying just as hard that their child won’t die or that some other life threatening catastrophe gets averted.

The Salem Sandwich Trials

DEmike Wrote: Aug 01, 2012 9:17 AM
I’m not encouraging them; I’m just not opposing them. It’s like when teenagers get married. Statistically the odds are against them, but it could work out just fine. Otherwise no, better citizens make for a better society. The only benefit you seem to point out is procreation. To look at it that way is to reduce society to livestock. Oddly enough, that is what many conservatives claim liberals are trying to do. All too often, conservatives reduce the value of marriage to procreation. Such reasoning renders childless marriages and invalid. Thus ironically it is conservative ideology that devaluates traditional marriage. And once again, I must point out that neither you nor anyone else has offered any reason for the original...

The Salem Sandwich Trials

DEmike Wrote: Jul 31, 2012 4:59 PM
Anom: Yes, in my opinion, in a way, homosexual marriages are flawed heterosexual marriages at best. But just as I would not move for the forced dissolution of a flawed heterosexual marriage or prevent one because the odds were against it, I won’t stand in the way of same sex marriage. As for benefits, I think same sex marriages will encourage home ownership, a greater desire to live a constructive life, monogamy, a greater desire to save or prepare for the future and just about all the other sociological benefits other than procreation. But no matter, none of what has been posted here takes away from the original question of how same-sex marriages devaluate heterosexual marriages.