Yet, in utter disregard of such plain facts, so-called "social scientists" do studies which conclude that America is no longer a land of opportunity, and that upward mobility is a "myth." Even when these studies have lots of numbers in tables and equations that mimic the appearance of...
I've met and learned from hundreds of young Asians whose families were of the status Dr. Sowell describes here. All one need do is walk through the poster sessions at any of the professional neurologic meetings. While working for a non-profit that worked to help patients, I attended these meetings to learn from the scientists and then report to the patients and families. These youngsters were working on their English while putting in hours of labor in research laboratories around our country. Why can't the immigrants, legal OR illegal, from other countries do the same? Because the big-eared one in OUR White House is using them, that's why.
Most people are not even surprised any more when they hear about someone who came here from Korea or Vietnam with very little money, and very little knowledge of English, who nevertheless persevered and rose in American society. Nor are we surprised when their children excel in school and go on to professional careers.
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 42 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 18 hours ago