I'm sorry, but I just can't bring myself to chuckle along with this video from Revealing Politics. It's too depressing. The Democratic National Convention's opening video featured this perverse pearl of Statist wisdom: "The government is the only thing we all belong to." The Obama campaign quickly clarified that the video wasn't produced by them, hitting Republicans for "faux outrage." Excuse me, but political conventions are parsed out and choreographed from pillar to post by the parties, which are fully controlled by the campaigns. This clip didn't accidentally slip past the messaging gurus. It's what liberals believe. ...
Regardless of how one would wish to parse it, or the intended context one would have us read, the statement "government is the one thing we all belong to" is hideous. The notion of "belonging to government" (even as a club or a team or whatever) is antithetical to the basis of America and it's notion of "We the people" (and, yes, even "Question Authority"). I'm sure the context which we are told to consider is more that "everybody is part of government", or, better yet, "everybody can affect the government". Well, if that'swhat was meant, why didn't they say that?? Instead of the apologists getting angry at taking the statement out of context, why don't they have a better statement??
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Daniele Watts won’t apologize, but how about the media? Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 20:1–16 Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago