What is it about Abraham Lincoln that has captured the hearts and minds of the American public since his assassination nearly 150 years ago? After all, one could argue -- rather persuasively -- that our 16th president was the least qualified candidate ever elected to high national office; in fact, his public service record included just four terms in the Illinois state legislative, one unremarkable term in the House of Representatives, and two unsuccessful bids for the US Senate. In addition, he had virtually no executive experience and, as his contemporaries invariably pointed out, Lincoln seemed wholly unfit to lead the...
Lincoln is perhaps the most undeserving idolized politicians in history. He was as close to a tyrant we have ever had. It locked up legislators who disagreed with him. He closed down state legislatures. He is worshipped because he "saved" the union. Saved it from what? He completely violated the Constitution in numerous ways. It was understood by the states when they ratified the Constitution that they could leave the union they created at any time they wished when they felt tyranny was encroching on their soverignty. As a matter of fact some NE states considered sucedeing in 1854. As an aside, I believe we have more grievances against the government today than we did against King Richard. It's a shame when one wakes up every...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago