Schoolteacher Cheating

Deep Thought 42 Wrote: Feb 05, 2014 9:08 AM
i also live in FL. I do a lot of volunteer work at my son's high school. He is in an engineering magnet school. The kids in his classes vary in ability across the spectrum... but their 'results' (ability and performance - which I know because I mentor their robotics program) depend on effort as much as native ability. in other words: education is like a sewer - what you get out of it depends on what you put into it (with apologies to Tom Lehrer for modifying his great line). What makes the program work is a few GREAT teachers, an administration that actively supports them, and parents that get involved. This particular school is a title 1 school in an area that is the closest thing Tampa has to a ghetto. Yet they have kids that go to MIT, Princeton, Columbia, etc - and EARN it... I know kids who score high on standardized reading tests yet will read a book and can't tell you anything about it (in one case, not even who the main character was). They learn test taking procedures, not reading comprehension. Kids today (with few exceptions, such as my son's school) are not taught to think. They are not taught problem solving skills. The key to good education is parental involvement. The parents have to teach the kids the value of an education. I've babbled enough.

The Inequality Bogeyman

Deep Thought 42 Wrote: Jan 28, 2014 8:15 AM
My wife and I own a small point of sale software company. I freely tell my customers that I am a 'greedy Jewish merchant'. However, I am smart enough to know that it I treat my customers right, I will get repeat business and new customers. As a result of my 'greed' we have a nice house, and nice life... and our customers have better control of their businesses. I got more than I gave. my customers got more than they gave. a win-win situation.. That is the 'greed' of capitalism - which IS good.

Parting Company

Deep Thought 42 Wrote: Jan 01, 2014 9:33 AM
How about use a standard electric lightbulb instead of an cfl/. How about use more than 1/5 gallons of water to flush a toilet? Does anyone thing the founders intended for the federal gov't to tell us what kind of lightbul we could have or how much water we could use to flush a toilet?
I would respectfully recommend that you search 'plesey v fergasun'. It too was 'the law of the land' and 'here to stay'. Laws can be changed, the Supreme Court can change their mind. Things are not necessarily carved in stone.
A RESPONSE TO THOSE WHO CLAIM THE 2ND AMENDMENT IS ONLY FOR A MILITIA: Let's assume, for the moment that you are right - that the 2nd amendment is for citizens to keep and bear arms for use in a militia. A militia is a quasi-military organization that would be called upon to defend the country in case of attack. Given that, then it is obvious that the weapons to be kept and born would be 'military grade weapons'. At present 'military grade weapons' would mean burst fire and fully automatic versions of the M-16 rifle or M-4 carbine (as used by our military at present). What then is a militia? The Civilian Marksmanship Program is a gov't program started in 1903 whose purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve in the U.S. military. THAT IS A MILITIA! I am a member of the CMP. I have been trained in riflery and marksmanship. Now... please tell me where I should go to pick up my fully auto M-16?
I rarely, if ever, donate cash to any cause. I do volunteer work! I average over 400 hours a year at my son's high school. The joke is that I spend more time there than some of the teachers. that's how I contribute... i know the value and results of my contribution!

Undoing the Brainwashing

Deep Thought 42 Wrote: Jun 17, 2013 10:18 AM
Kids CAN overcome incredible pressure if they want. My son just graduated from Tulane (and they don't get much more liberal than that). He and his roommates were (I think) the only 3 conservatives on campus. He went in a Tea Party kid and came out a Tea Party kid (and a Rand Paul supporter). It can be done....

The Heretic at Heritage

Deep Thought 42 Wrote: May 14, 2013 9:08 AM
I don't question the study's results... but I question exactly what IQ measures, especially in the range below 100. Having taught in high school for several years, I would tend to think that in addition to 'intelligence' what is being tested is reading comprehension and knowledge base. Those things are largely derived from parental values. Kids from homes where an education is valued do better; that is they read and comprehend better, and they have a larger factual base to draw from. As a result, they would score higher on most any test. In my experience, Jews and Asians place the highest value on education so they tend to score the highest and do better. it is not generic, but environmental. Blacks and Hispanics, as a rule, do not place the same emphasis on education. Yes, i know there are exceptions... I know numerous blacks and Hispanics who are high achievers. Most have parents who understand the benefits of education. A few have parents who don't, but the kids are smart enough to see 'a better way'.

Cheap Politicians

Deep Thought 42 Wrote: Oct 02, 2012 9:28 AM
No... a constitutional amendment. That can be done by the states (although far more likely after a congressional vote). Key to make it pass would be to exempt those in office now. We'd just have to vote them out.

Cheap Politicians

Deep Thought 42 Wrote: Oct 02, 2012 9:22 AM
TERM LIMITS!!! That's the answer..... One term in office and you can't run for an office while holding another one. eliminate the professional politician.