That's the script. When heinous monsters kill people with guns, we tend to talk about the problem of guns. Or rather, people in Washington, New York and other big cities tend to talk about the problem of guns, because they think guns are the problem. There's an irony there, of course, given that such cities tend to have the worst gun-related murder rates -- Chicago these days has the equivalent of an...
The death penalty is not simply "punishment." The primary purpose is to rid society of a danger. If a family dog attacks a child, no matter the reason, we kill the dog. Putting a mass-murderer in prison for life is not justice, because then the same society which was victimized by the guilty in the first place is twice victimized by having to literally pay for the crimes by caring for and maintaining the guilty for life. And to say the death penalty is not a deterrent, it is an absolute deterent for the guilty who are put to death.
In the aftermath of the Aurora, Colo., slaughter, the question went forth on all of the political chatter shows: "Will this reopen the debate over gun control?"
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- This HHS official’s resignation letter says everything you’ve ever thought about bureaucracy Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Venezuelan official: John Kerry is a “murderer” and these protests are pretty much all his fault Erika Johnsen 9 hours ago
- Sarah Palin to launch “Rogue TV” Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Jay Carney leaving the White House? Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Ramirez on Attkisson’s departure Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago