That's the script. When heinous monsters kill people with guns, we tend to talk about the problem of guns. Or rather, people in Washington, New York and other big cities tend to talk about the problem of guns, because they think guns are the problem. There's an irony there, of course, given that such cities tend to have the worst gun-related murder rates -- Chicago these days has the equivalent of an...
The death penalty is not simply "punishment." The primary purpose is to rid society of a danger. If a family dog attacks a child, no matter the reason, we kill the dog. Putting a mass-murderer in prison for life is not justice, because then the same society which was victimized by the guilty in the first place is twice victimized by having to literally pay for the crimes by caring for and maintaining the guilty for life. And to say the death penalty is not a deterrent, it is an absolute deterent for the guilty who are put to death.
In the aftermath of the Aurora, Colo., slaughter, the question went forth on all of the political chatter shows: "Will this reopen the debate over gun control?"
- Fox News: Obama briefed for more than a year on ISIS as serious threat Ed Morrissey 50 mins ago
- Poll: 63% oppose Obama’s executive order on amnesty Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Ukraine ends offensive operations against rebels, digs in to repel Russian invasion Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Great news: Homeland Security can’t find 6,000 foreign nationals in US Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Did US kill Al-Shabaab leader responsible for Kenya mall massacre? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- CDC Director: Ebola in Africa now an ‘epidemic,’ ‘completely out of control’ Noah Rothman 4 hours ago