Today, we're taking a preliminary look at just who owns all the debt issued by the U.S. federal government through 30 September 2012 - the end of the U.S. government's fiscal year. Our chart below visualizes what we found.
The information presented in our chart above is preliminary, as the U.S. Treasury typically revises its foreign entity debt ownership data in March of each year.
Overall, U.S. entities own just 65.8% of all debt issued by the U.S. federal government. Ranking the major U.S. entities from low to high, we find that:
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Advice to campaigning Democrats: Maybe avoid mentioning the term economic “recovery” Erika Johnsen 7 hours ago
- Western states debate retaking control of federal lands Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Reflecting on Kelo nine years later Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- Video: Obama signs bill blocking Iranian UN envoy from entry Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago