Letting in the Wrong Refugees

Dean197 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 9:58 AM
Neither alternative is particularly attractive. Being unable to get refugee status anywhere is often a death sentence, and the majority of refugees are deserving and would make good citizens. But there is a limit to how high a percentage of bad actors we can tolerate.

The Lawyer on Trial for Christ

Dean197 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 9:54 AM
I'm inclined to agree withy your analysis.

The Lawyer on Trial for Christ

Dean197 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 9:53 AM
The one who takes the 'giant spaghetti monster' seriously instead of as a parody.

The Lawyer on Trial for Christ

Dean197 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 9:52 AM
Proverbs 22:16 "One who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and one who gives gifts to the rich--both come to poverty." I'm a fan of capitalism, but I can see how Christianity might be susceptible to communist influence.

The Lawyer on Trial for Christ

Dean197 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 9:49 AM
Christianism is basically the idea that the government should endorse, affirm, promote, and priviledge Christianity. Secularism (in the political sense) is the idea that the government ought not to do any of that for any reliigion. It's not hatred of Christianity that makes me a secularist. I really do think it's in the best interests of all concerned, including the Christians, if our government is as neutral as possible toward religion, neither supporting nor oppressing it. Since most legal precedents support that, it doesn't require hatred to expect Christians to be treated the same as everyone else in the eyes of the government, and to abide by established law unless they can get it changed.

The Lawyer on Trial for Christ

Dean197 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 9:45 AM
I've never met an atheist who heard of him before Christians started making a big deal about him becoming a deist in his old age. He was a philosophy professor, not a rock star.

The Lawyer on Trial for Christ

Dean197 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 9:43 AM
It's never proper to capitalize atheist unless it's at the beginning of a sentence or part of the name of something else, like an organization. It sound like you're talking about the difference you might find in most groups: a slilent majority and a vocal minority.

The Lawyer on Trial for Christ

Dean197 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 9:41 AM
If you define a god as 'anything you admire, even moderately' you win. If you take the idea of a 'god' seriously though, a lot of people don't have any, but there isn't anything they revere so much they think it ought to be worshipped.

The Lawyer on Trial for Christ

Dean197 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 9:39 AM
Sigh. I don't hate God. If there is one, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a decent being, doing the best it can with a vast and hard-to-manage universe. The version many followers describe sounds like a pretty unpleasant fellow, and it can be alarming that they claim to speak for a creator who shares all their viewpoints, but to me God is just a character that can be nearly anything to anyone. Even the vicious fundamentalist's description of God is something I can no more hate than I can hate Voldemort. The vicious fundamentalist, on the other hand, is quite real, though thankfully not typical of the vast majority of American Christians.
So find one of those that has rules and by-laws that would exclude a Conservative Christian from a leadership position, bring it to the attention of campus authorities, and then you'll have proof of discrimination. Although I realize it's not nearly as much effort to just assume it.