Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
The author underestimates the intelligence of American Blacks. The real issue is that the Democrats consistently favor welfare and preferential treatment over personal responsibility and equality. This is not a "racist" statement. The author is Black and doesn't share the "typical" American Black POV, and for that you are no doubt considered an Oreo (Black on the outside, White on the inside). Same as Bill Cosby. And who can blame them? Page 30 of the 2014 FY Budget proposal give an excellent example of the disadvantages of going off welfare. The effective tax rate of going from $10,000 a year in income to $40,000 a year is 80%. Why work for nothing.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- John Roberts doesn’t believe either Scalia or Ginsburg could be confirmed today Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 13 hours ago