Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
The author underestimates the intelligence of American Blacks. The real issue is that the Democrats consistently favor welfare and preferential treatment over personal responsibility and equality. This is not a "racist" statement. The author is Black and doesn't share the "typical" American Black POV, and for that you are no doubt considered an Oreo (Black on the outside, White on the inside). Same as Bill Cosby. And who can blame them? Page 30 of the 2014 FY Budget proposal give an excellent example of the disadvantages of going off welfare. The effective tax rate of going from $10,000 a year in income to $40,000 a year is 80%. Why work for nothing.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014