Alexander Hamilton: "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed," adding later, "If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is...
Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shootings, said: "The British are not coming. ... We don't need all these guns to kill people." Lewis' vision, shared by many, represents a gross ignorance of why the framers of the Constitution gave us the Second Amendment. How about a few quotes from the period and you decide whether our Founding Fathers harbored a fear of foreign tyrants.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 13 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 17 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 19 hours ago